• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My plans for the 2012 Pepper Season!

I just wanted to share with everyone my plans for the 2012 season, as my pepper season this year is rapidly approaching its close. I had a total of 30 plants this year, which were:

Caribbean Red Habanero (6)
Serrano (6)
Hot Portugal (2)
Padron (2)
Ristra Cayenne (3)
Tobasco (1)
Habanero (1)
Super Chili (6)
Hungarian Hot Wax (1)
Chocolate Bell (1)
Poinsettia (1)

I plan to overwinter them all, since they didn't get very big. This was my first year growing, and I had a lot of other stuff on my plate, so the chilies didn't get the attention they deserved :(

I also plan to convert my front sunporch into a nursery for the seedlings I'm starting in late-January or early-February, utilizing pellet propagators, heat mats, and lamps until spring. All peppers will be in buckets, for ease of transfer indoors while hardening off, as well as overwintering, etc. I also plan to seriously implement pepper formula plant foods.

I am going to go over this list a few times and really think about which ones I will actually grow. This is about 40 types, which is a LOT! I plan to have about 100 plants or so, and if 2 of each are grown, and I really give it all, I can get a lot of pods. Well, anyone with tips, comments, etc., please feel free to post!

Look below to see the new post with the list of types on it!
Karl

nice lineup :)

personally i think i will soon start some peppers to have some fun during winter! cant wait also to have a big garden full of colorfull ball of heat everywhere between tomatoes cucumber and other vegetable!

i also plant to have some rows of Edamame i bough seeds this summer of the butternut variety cant wait to test those!

Nice looking list. I feel your pain with the list of extras and maybes. I have a ton of plants I WANT to grow, but we shall see what I have room for. I am just trying to get a good variety. If you have the space, then grow em all! If not I would pic a few from each category. Looking forward to your final list, and good luck.

Matt

Yes, I have recently updated the list, and pared it down to about 26 types (I think that's the total...) which I will be growing. That leaves room for at least (2) plants of each type, leaving (19) spots for multiples of select varieties. That could change, however, if all of my current plants do not overwinter well. In any case, I am excited to be growing in a few months. Gotta start planning and buying my goods!

Hendrix,

Nice line up. i see you snuck a certain Aji Caballero in there :) NICE, i hope you like them. I'm still trying to wrestle with what i want to grow in 2012 :eek: :beer:

I mulled that list over many times in the past couple of weeks, and decided that if I really want to get into growing, I need to go at ramming speed into the fray. I have so many types of seeds, I just have to cut loose and full-bore it into 2012! As 2011 is waning, I have only about 4 months to prepare for my new growing setup, which will be overhauled completely for 2012. I have many things to buy to get ready, so that when late-January rolls around, I can get started and not tarry like I did this year, in which my garden was a sudden thing I wanted to do after taking 3 years off, and so the chili plants were just a sidedish, so to speak, and I wasn't able to concentrate on them as much, and hadn't yet done research on optimizing my harvest. This coming year will be different, and everyone here on the Forums will be seeing some mucho pods for sale/trade this time next year.

Okay, I believe this might finally be my final growing list for 2012. I wrote down all the new seeds I got this year, plus the ones I already wanted to grow, and really bore down and chose the ones I absolutely thought I couldn't live without growing next year.

Look below for my recently updated list as of 12/15/11!

That's some serious variety Hendrix! lookin good!
I bet you'll still switch it up a few more times haha.
I can't tell you how many times I've went into MS Word and switched mine up :crazy:

I'm convinced it's Chile OCD from lack of pepper-things to do around this time of year :lol:

Okay, my updated grow list is here! I did some serious deliberating with myself this month, and decided that I needed to seriously pare down the volume. My (hopefully) final list for 2012 is a bit slimmer than my last update which was 61, down from my over-90 list back in October! Here is my "final" list for 2012:

Hopefully, I can get at least one plant from each of these going, and have about 50-60 plants this coming year, including any of my overwintered from this past season (I have 29 plants, don't know how many will make it, but I'm trying all of them!!!).

<UPDATE> See below for my 2-5-12 "final" list!

Okay, I have decided, upon examining the resources required for upgrading my grow rig, and my tight funding stream, that I must pare down my list even more. Here is (hopefully) my final paring down, though I am hard-pressed to eliminate any more varieties from this list. I represented each of the 5 "main" species (Annuum, Chinense, Baccatum, Pubescens, and Frutescens). In addition, I also have some wild species making an appearance as well!

All righty, here it is:

01-Hot Lemon Drop
02-Red Rocoto
03-C.Frutescens "CGN-22184"
04-Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habanero
05-Purple UFO
06-Monkey Face
07-Turtle's Claw
08-Red 7-Pot
09-Yellow Bullet Habanero
10-Tio
11-Red Biquinho Iracena
12-White Bhut Jolokia
13-C.Lanceolatum
14-C.Chinense "CGN-21500"
15-Red Aribibi Gusano (Unknown F1 cross)
16-Zavory
17-Hungarian Wax (Unknown F1 cross)

Back