• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My progress - Day 9 - Some questions

My philosophy on re-potting is the only reason for the smaller soil volume is so you can better control moisture and temperature during the critical sprouting phase. Once they have popped and the first true leaves form, there is no reason not to re-pot. Think about what happens in the wild, the seedling sprouts and sends it's root down as far and as fast as it can to get to the soil area that stays damp. If you dig up a baby pepper that has been direct sown in the ground, you might see a 1" tall above ground plant with a 6" plus tap root. I don't see any reason why you should interfere with the natural tendency of the pepper to dig its root deep.

My philosophy on re-potting is the only reason for the smaller soil volume is so you can better control moisture and temperature during the critical sprouting phase. Once they have popped and the first true leaves form, there is no reason not to re-pot. Think about what happens in the wild, the seedling sprouts and sends it's root down as far and as fast as it can to get to the soil area that stays damp. If you dig up a baby pepper that has been direct sown in the ground, you might see a 1" tall above ground plant with a 6" plus tap root. I don't see any reason why you should interfere with the natural tendency of the pepper to dig its root deep.

True to a degree. I've sown directly into large pots.... just to skip the constant repotting.... and had it work out just fine (for bell peppers... let it be known). My thoughts on starting in the cell trays is space conservation. I always sow six of each variety, expecting only half of them to survive. I plant up from there once I see which ones are the strong ones.

So now this leads me into the soil question. The same seed starting mix should not be used anymore correct? Since the seeds were already started. Any suggestions on what soil to use when I repot?

So now this leads me into the soil question. The same seed starting mix should not be used anymore correct? Since the seeds were already started. Any suggestions on what soil to use when I repot?

Back