• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

raised-bed My raised bed

Let me just say that after seeing your pics, I have a fairly high level of confidence that the wood content is problematic.  You can test this theory, by pulling up one of those plants, and sticking it in a container with a proven mix, and see if it bounces back. And along with wood, I'd suggest that you may have a problem with over-drainage and compaction (although I'd be less confident throwing that out without feeling the soil)
Whatever the problem is, it's systemic.  Full on yellowing isn't a single thing.  If I had seen it early, maybe it would have been easier to pinpoint.  But those charts you see online, and posted in the forum, are almost completely worthless, for most dignoses.  The problem is, nutrients have knock-on effects.  If you cut out nitrogen or calcium, for examle, other nutrient uptake is also interrupted.  And most growers don't experience single nutrient deficiencies.  So, at best, knowing what a single nutrient deficiency looks like might give you an idea of what failed first, but it should ALMOST NEVER be used to reactively adjust a feeding regimen.  Sometimes, deficiencies are not deficiencies at all.
Keep us posted what the soil test comes back with.  Don't take the result as a final word.  It's probably going to just be a starting point.

Got my soil test back today. PH seems very high and low on other nutrients.
ph 7.04 (very high)
electrical conductivity .59 (don't think this is relevant)
NO3N: 21.45 (very low)
P: 3.46 (good)
K: 59.14 (little high)
Ca: 54.28 (little high)
Mg: 12.87 (good)

Drachor said:
Got my soil test back today. PH seems very high and low on other nutrients.
ph 7.04 (very high)
electrical conductivity .59 (don't think this is relevant)
NO3N: 21.45 (very low)
P: 3.46 (good)
K: 59.14 (little high)
Ca: 54.28 (little high)
Mg: 12.87 (good)

EC is definitely relevant when you try to figure out how to amend soil.  But maybe it's not the most important thing to be concerned with, at the moment.
First off, 7.04 is NOT what one considers "very high".  Especially here in Florida.  My soil pH is 8.5 all day long, with nothing having ever been done to it.  We have a very alkaline environment, due to a ground substrate that is mostly phosphoric.
Those numbers are really nothing to be alarmed about.  I wasn't sure how deep they'd test, but I am going to fall back on my earlier hypothesis about there being too much wood, and too much drainage.
For grins... Would you be willing to get some screen mesh - roughly window screen size - and sieve out about a quart of that soil?  I'd be interested in seeing your "fine" particles, side-by-side with your "coarse" particles.

"First off, 7.04 is NOT what one considers "very high".  Especially here in Florida."
I discovered that after posting. I took the highs and lows off of the charts that came with the results, which obviously didn't take into account what one would be planting.

"For grins... Would you be willing to get some screen mesh - roughly window screen size - and sieve out about a quart of that soil?  I'd be interested in seeing your "fine" particles, side-by-side with your "coarse" particles."
Yeah, I could probably do that, sure I have some screen lying around.

Back