My Reapers: Small, without those crazy bumps?

On the topic of official sources though, I bought mine from CCN last year and was under the assumption they had genuine seeds.  They have all the copyright disclaimers and everything.

I got some small peppers and some that were much larger.  They were all pretty distinctly reapers though.

This one is coming along nicely, and it looks a lot more like a Reaper.

green-reaper.jpg

So weird that one plant can produce such wildly different looking pods.

It could also easily be the time of the year. Plants make some odd looking pods in the winter time, which would explain why the first ones were so small.

Grover,

The first pods off lots of plants can look very funky.  Not really sure why, just happens.  But those look way, way off.  Are you saying a few plants are now showing the right type of pod shape or are you saying a few pants that threw goofy pods are now throwing the right shape?

If its one plant producing wildly different pods and they are all grown in same environment, my guess would be that particular seed was cross pollinated.  If you like it, save the seeds, regrow and see if it produces children kin to the mama.  Nothing says you have to have official named peppers.  If you like a happy accident, cool!

TNKS said:
Those are nothing Primo(reaper) related
Ive grown reaper strain 3 seasons (Currie sourced and grown to F3 from the original)and not a one has ever had that pheno visual
Get some good 7 Pot Primo seeds and leave the reaper lore in the dust
Blew coffee out my nose.  Have been growing both for a time.  If not for the various claims, I would say Carolina Reaper is a narrow selection of Primo DNA.  Kind of the way Butch T is a narrow selection of Trinidad Scorpion DNA.  Can not say that one is hotter than the other because when you do your own selective culling, narrowing of the dna, you change things.  That said, the Primo I grow and the Carolina Reaper I grow have about the same SHU.  The appearance of my Carolina Reaper are a bit plumper than most that I see.  My Primo are starting to look very much like Carolina Reaper but I have been selectively culling them for the tail for a while now.  Still not there, but hell not there with Carolina Reaper yet.

ajdrew said:
Are you saying a few plants are now showing the right type of pod shape or are you saying a few pants that threw goofy pods are now throwing the right shape?

If its one plant producing wildly different pods and they are all grown in same environment, my guess would be that particular seed was cross pollinated.  If you like it, save the seeds, regrow and see if it produces children kin to the mama.  Nothing says you have to have official named peppers.  If you like a happy accident, cool!

These plants are growing very different shaped pods on the same plant. One pod will look must more like what I see in Reaper photos online, and another pod on that same plant will look completely different. Is this something that would be related to cross pollination, or is this something related to the growing conditions I've got going on?

Thanks for your comment. I always like reading your stuff!

As I understand it, cross pollination of mama effects here seed only, not the pods.  Think of it like a woman.  The baby (in a plant the seeds) are a combination of mama and papa.  But the placenta and amniotic fluid are all mama.

Most likely guess - For what ever reason, early pods often look wonky.

Next guess - A customer who said he was a horticulturist told me it is very unlikely, but if mama is cross pollinated that in very rare instances she can be a chimera.  I honestly do not understand it, but evidently some living things can create a child that does not have humongous dna.  Part of the thing (maybe a branch) is mama and part of it (another branch) is papa.  Thing is, think this is incredibly rare.

I would have thought the guy was nuts, but I have been fascinated with Sheep-goat chimera for much time, so I know it happens in animals.  Still very, very, very rare.  Much more likely to be wonky first pods.  Still, check out this link.  It is proof Mother Nature has a messed up sense of humor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheep%E2%80%93goat_chimera

Back