• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce My Sauces

I'm new around here, so I thought I'd jump right in. I sent this list to the Welcome thread, but I figured this is probably a better place for it.

I'm wondering if anyone can look this over and tell me if I have my SHU's right. This is my entire hot sauce collection (I just got started a few weeks ago, and just found this site yesterday) and am taking notes as I go. I left out Tabasco and Cholula and Tapatio, and the blank lines indicate sauces that are somewhere between South Carolina and California in a UPS truck as we speak.

Code:
Sauce                       Heat  Taste  Overall  
-----                       ----  -----  -------       
Baron's Blazing Hot            5    4    4        not as hot as regular?
Baron's Classic                5    6    5        forgettable
Baron's West Indies            6    7    6        delicious, mustardy, good heat, some scotch bonnet taste
Blair’s After Death            6    3    4        metallic taste
Blair's Original Death         5    7    7        fruity, slightly smoky, good lasting heat, tasty!
Bone Sucking Hiccupin Hot      4    8    7        great bbq sauce flavor
CaJohn's Jolokia 10            7    3    6        thick and pulpy, bland but good heat
Capt. Thom's Naga Powder       6    6    6        tastes like Naga, not super hot just eaten dry
Dave’s Cool Cayenne            2    3    2        crap
Dave’s Hurtin’ Jalapeno        2    3    2        crap
Dave’s Insanity Sauce          8    5    5        tastes great for 3 seconds
Dave’s Roasted Garlic          2    3    2        crap
Defcon 2 Wing Sauce            3    9    8        very very tasty, not much heat
Defcon B-5 Extract             9    3    9        hot stuff! Use sparingly.  Doesn't taste horrible.
El Yucateco XXXtra Hot         5    8    8        big habanero flavor
Gator Hammock Gator Sauce      4    6    7        salt, garlic, worch, good flavor, mild heat
Holy Jolokia                   7    7    8        very hot, good naga flavor
Lottie's Red                   6    7    7        great taste, good heat
Lottie's Yellow                5    8    8        mustardy and delicious
Mad Dog 357 Hot Sauce          9    1    2        charred, repulsive, very hot
Marie Sharp's Belizean Heat    7    7    7        tomato-y
Melinda’s Habanero             3    7    6        salty and tasty
Melinda's Red Savina           7    8    8        great hab
Miss Anna's Hot Pepper         6    4    4        curry taste is overpowering
Pain is Good Batch #114        4    8    6        great smoky and jerk flavor
Peppahead's Chili Loco         4    7    6        too jerky for mexican
Peppahead's Devil's Dew        6    7    8        great on taco salad
Stribwings Not Cool            9    8    9        great smoky flavor, chunky, good on everything
The Hottest Fuckin' Sauce      8    3    4        oily, extracty, a novelty
Wanza's Wicked Temptation      8    4    4        not as hot as supposed SHU rating suggests, not awful, extracty
Zulu Zulu Xtra Hot Hot Sauce   5    5    6        really unique

UPDATE:

I had one of the most miserable experiences of my life with Maddog 357 this morning. 45 minutes of on and off agonizing abdominal pain, full-body cold sweats, feeling like I was going to puke. Extract sauces for the win!

After that experience I didn't have the guts to try the Wanza's Wicked, though after I ate lunch I stuck a fork tine down into the sauce and ran it across my tongue, leaving a narrow blazing strip of fire down the center of it and my lips. Yowza.

UPDATE2:

Wanza's isn't as painfully hot as Mad Dog 357, which took out two co-workers as well that day. Right now I'm loving NOT COOL Jolokia from StribWings, Lottie's Yellow, Defcon 2 and Zero and Holy Jolokia.

More to come next week!

DEFCON Creator said:
Hmmmm, methinks you need to be assimilated into the Defcon Collective...

I think you're probably right. I feel like I have a lot of ground to cover before I can speak with any authority about sauces.

As of today, I do know:

El Yucateco Kubil-Ik is dynamite and goes great on any mexican food and is really my go-to sauce for that kind of food.

Lottie's Yellow is awesome on ANY sandwich. Any. I love the mustard/scotch bonnet mix!

Dave's Insanity Sauce right off the spoon makes me feel like someone punched me in the stomach for about 15 minutes, but the burn is intense.

DEFCON Creator said:
Hmmmm, methinks you need to be assimilated into the Defcon Collective...

nice to see the creator pluging his own sauce....

methinks the creator should send him a free bottle to welcome him to the forum!

Defcon's definitely on my list to try, after all of the positive reviews I've seen on here and elsewhere and the tireless plugging by it's creator. :-)

I updated my list above with new ratings for the sauces that arrived this morning. I had my worst yet extract sauce experience too, with a good 45 minutes of wishing someone would come in and kill me.

I agree about the El Yucateco though, love it.

Ya should try some of the Aussie Naga and Hab sauces too. Hippy's got the NagaSav which rules for a smokey-sweet naga sauce.

I'm trying out some varieties now and as an example, Novacastrian's homemade Naga/Mango "666" sauce is insane stuff. :)

All-natural rules IMO.

Really, it all comes down to what ya like.

QuadShotz said:
I agree about the El Yucateco though, love it.

Ya should try some of the Aussie Naga and Hab sauces too. Hippy's got the NagaSav which rules for a smokey-sweet naga sauce.

Hey, thanks for the recommendation! Do any suppliers in the US carry the Hippy Seed Co. stuff? I've seen a few of his tasting videos. Very inspiring!

QuadShotz said:
All-natural rules IMO.

This is the direction the parade is headed for me. I have a bad reaction to the extract sauce I think. I've got a bottle of the "NOT COOL" Jolokia sauce from Strib Wings coming in the mail this week. I can't wait to try it out.

smariotti said:
Hey, thanks for the recommendation! Do any suppliers in the US carry the Hippy Seed Co. stuff? I've seen a few of his tasting videos. Very inspiring!

IDK if any U.S. shops carry the AU stuff, but Stillmanz, Bentalphanerd, Scorpion, and TheHippySeedCo would be happy to sell ya some sauces and/or pods and stuff. (sorry if I forgot anyone)

Some of them have online shops, some sell through Ebay too. A PM from here works well too. :)

The exchange rate on the AUD is pretty good, and they're all good about shipping to the U.S.

Another fave is the Naga Mama by chileseeds.co.uk

Very good stuff...here's my review of it:

Bump for spreadsheet update. I added a bunch of my latest buys and some feedback on them.

I should have some THSC sauces stuff coming soon, I placed an order last week. I wish I could get Old Man Stillmanz and Scorpion's Lust in the same box with Neil's stuff! :-)

Can't wait to get my next batch of bottles next week! I'll update again when I do.

Sounds like you're having fun!

An enviable collection you're getting there too. :)

The more stuff I try from AU, the more I like. They really got it going on for unique, tasty and BLOODY HOT natural sauces.

Dude, how can you realistically rate extract sauces for taste? The whole point about extract sauces is that they're all about heat and pretty much devoid of anything that resembles taste like you could say about other sauces.

- Joe

Extract sauces have flavor. Think Defcon 1, Blair's, Snake Bite... These are sauces, not additives.

LinNJoe said:
Dude, how can you realistically rate extract sauces for taste? The whole point about extract sauces is that they're all about heat and pretty much devoid of anything that resembles taste like you could say about other sauces.

- Joe

Yeah, it's kind of a matter of... I dunno... taste.

Compare the taste of Dave's Insanity Sauce and Wanza's Wicked Temptation... both have extract in them and you pretty much get clubbed on the head with the taste of the extract. But that's not all that happens. You get a handful of flavors in there too... which swirl around a bit for the first 30 seconds or so before the extract clobbers you.

I'd much rather mix a little of Wanza's in with some ketchup and dip my fries than mix a little of Mad Dog 357 in with the ketchup. I might put some Mad Dog 357 in some chili, though. I'd leave Blair's After Death for taco sauce, I think. It's pretty arbitrary, but there's a distinction there (for me at least.)

I don't think extracts are ALL about the arms race for total hotness, but that's how they're used in some sauces.

My Taste scale is just a completely arbitrary measure of my general happiness in the world after eating some of the sauce... on a scale of 1 to 10.

Mad Dog 357 gets a 1 because it tastes like I sucked a chewed up cigar butt out of a fat man's ass if I eat it straight. Wanza's does a better score because it tastes like fruit.

Back