• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health My scotch bonnets have no taste, what did I do wrong?

They are a nice deep red and some are even getting soft, but they taste like grass or an unripe green pepper.

Not sure what's really going on here, any ideas?

Some times harvesting after heavy rains or watering can have that effect as well. But probably not to the extent you're experiencing. Maybe they bishops crown 

Thanks for the welcome all.. These are from a local nursery, usually pretty reliable... It's the strangest thing.. They are ripe and hot just NO flavor. The jalapeños in the same plot of land had the same thing, super hot and no flavor. The habaneros from that plot are great.

Here's a pic of them before they were ripe.
http://imgur.com/26hAIfs

Yeah, those don't look like Bonnets. The calyx doesn't even look right for a chinense. Do the flowers have green or gold markings inside? If so, then it is a baccatum for sure.

Welcome to the Forum!
Nice peppers still. I found if the plants grow too fast, too much fert, then they lack in flavor development.

I agree with Pr0digal_son & Malarky on Jamaican Mushroom Pepper. I had the same mix-up when I purchased what I thought was a Mushroom Pepper that turned out to be a Bishop's Crown. Here's a pic of a Bishop's Crown:

tubUWeN.jpg

Back