• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds MY SEEDS SPROUTED !!!!! NOW WHAT ?

hi

after 1-2 weeks my lovely seeds sprouted :) !!!

they are not super hot , just a regular pepper can be found on the market "the thin one"

anyways , the plants look really really white :S ( i think it is the roots)

here are the pics :
IMG_20110127_183128.jpg

IMG_20110127_183119.jpg

IMG_20110127_183113.jpg

IMG_20110127_183104.jpg

IMG_20110127_183053.jpg

IMG_20110127_183045.jpg

IMG_20110127_183034.jpg

What do i do now ? transfer everyone to a cup ?

well, I think it would be a good idea to get them into cups, or leave them in the dish for a little while to get them better, but me I would just put em into cups now, not sure what others may think

Yep, bury them in cups soon. Roots don't like being exposed to light. The seed casing hasn't fully come off of them so you'll need to bury that too. Don't go crazy and bury them 5' down, just an 1/8 to 1/4" under is fine. Put them in separate cups so that they aren't competing with each other down the road. When they break the surface again pour the light to them.

Congratulations :).

thanks guys for all the support :D
it is 11:30 pm so i will do it tommorow

btw what kind of cup do i use ? and wouldn't it become "soggy" for watering it ?

paper cup or foil cup ?
or is it okay to put it anywhere ?

sorry , i'm nervous :D

thanks guys for all the support :D
it is 11:30 pm so i will do it tommorow

btw what kind of cup do i use ? and wouldn't it become "soggy" for watering it ?

paper cup or foil cup ?
or is it okay to put it anywhere ?

sorry , i'm nervous :D

I would not go with paper cups. I tried a few one season. They allowed mold to develop and the seedlings just did not grow as well as those in plastic cups or pots. In terms of foil cups, are you talking about the ones that are shallow? If so I would go with something a little deeper.

You can use a wide variety of things, but no matter what there has to be holes in the bottom. This will allow excess water to drain. If you don't have this you will increase your chances of root rot.

As TheAlaskan pointed out, you can go with plastic drinking cups. They have worked well for me but I prefer something like these. I have also seen people cut the top off of aluminum cans or even plastic soda bottles. Just remember there NEEDS to be drainage holes on the bottom. Good luck and keep us posted.

I am using plastic bathroom cups from Wal-Mart they do the job and can be reused at least 4 times, because I label them with a sharpie. You get 100 cups for a couple bucks.

I'm a noob but will throw in. I use square garden type cups as they fit in my tray better than round. You can avoid soggy soil by adding stuff like perlite, small crushed granite, small pine bark, small lava rock. Whatever you end up with, put it in your cups, then boil some water and run it through--it should drain freely. The hot water will nuke some of the creatures lurking in there.

Let things cool. I use toothpicks to handle the seedlings. Make a little shallow planting hole and gently grasp the seed head with 2 picks--don't grab by the root if possible. Plop into the hole, root down if you can.

Settle a bit of soil mix over the seed. I spray lightly with a 20-to-1 water to hydrogen peroxide (3%) mix. This helps prevent "dampening off." You can do this later if not available right now.

Cover container with plastic wrap or dome. Keep it warm--back where you germinated is good. Remove this cover daily and check, maybe spritz again with the HPO solution. Keep damp but not soggy.

While waiting for the plant to pop up, get your lighting station in order. My seeds took 5 days to emerge, I think.

Once it emerges from the soil, remove the cover for good and let the light shine. You can now let the plant live at room temperature.

Too much info? Hope I got some of it right! Also, read a lot of other people's grow logs and posts. Lot of valuable info and differing opinions which is half the fun.

Back