• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My Sick Peppers :(

Hi! I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I am having some problems with my peppers and can't figure out what the heck is going on. I planted them on May 7th & today, most of them are not growing well. The older leaves on all the plants (12 total) are getting brownish/blackish spots on them and then fall off. They are flowering but before the pepper gets to pea sized, the whole flower & stem fall off. Out of 12 pepper plants I have ONE pepper and that one is about pea sized so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. All the plants have lots of new growth that looks healthy and lots of upcoming flowers but they look really BAD and I'm worried. I planted them in a sandy topsoil/Miracle Gro Garden Soil/Compost mix and have been fertilizing them every other week with Miracle Gro for veggies. I applied Epsom Salts yesterday. I water every 3-4 days unless it rains, then I skip the watering. We have had A LOT of rain these past 2 weeks. Not constant rain but heavy downpours/storms.

Do I have diseased plants? Is this normal? Does the healthy leaves growing in mean they will be okay? I have never planted a garden before and was the most excited about my peppers. They are suppose to be easy to grow and you can do so many things with them.........but I'm very disappointed :(

What to do??

How do I add a picture?

What kind of peppers are they? Pictures would really help. Go to suggestions and support to help you with posting pics.

Hey, I live just on the other side of the water. I could take a look at them if you would like. If not that's cool too. Just post some pics and I bet you get some good info. GL and :welcome: to THP!!

I followed your instructions (thank you!) and here are some pictures. I have green peppers, jalapeno, banana, and pepperocinis growing. Green peppers are doing the worst out of all of them. The pepperocini is the biggest but only the jalapeno has a pepper. One pepper out of 12 plants :( And I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't fall off too....

TorisPlay032.jpg

TorisPlay028.jpg

TorisPlay030.jpg

Sorry.....the first pic is the pepperocini. Second is the green bell, and last is banana.

Hmmm....I see you have them in a raised box, how is the water drainage? Just like you said, and I can attest to, we have had ALOT of rain recently. If your box doesn't have proper drainage then you can run into some problems with wilting and root rot. Anybody else have any ideas?

We don't have soil in my neighborhood. We have clay. Which is the reason we did the raised beds. We tilled the area and then had Peninsula Hardwood deliver some soil that had sand mixed in (that they recommended for gardening) and then we mixed Miracle Gro gardening soil into that. The bed is 1 foot high. Was I suppose to do anything else before planting? They said that the sandy soil would help with the drainage. The soil is moist but not wet.

What do I look for to detect root rot?

From what you said, it sounds like your drainage is good enough. Moist should be ok, how often do you water? Should be once every couple to 3 days or so. Are you using any kind of fert (plant food)?

I really haven't been watering much lately because we get a good dose of rain every few days. Every 2 weeks I've been spraying Miracle Gro on everything (the blue stuff you attach to the hose).

I just peeked at my neighbors pepper plants and hers are WAY bigger & better looking than mine..........and I planted mine 10 days before her! There's definitely something wrong :(

check your soil to see if its compacted dig down like 12 inches away from the sickest plant it should be loose and not hard to dig up. The Banana is makin a comeback, they're flowering cause of stress I would pinch off the flowers and loosen up that soil. let em dry out a few days and give em some Epson salt forget that MG hose method, half strength the mix and apply with a pressure sprayer to each plant individually. I had a Banana come up in some compost I buried, it had little attention for the first 3 months of its life then I adopted it, don't love them too much . below is a helpful link someone posted here awhile back it may help yah GL
http://www.using-hyd...ide-garden.html

Back