• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My soi/fert regimen. (got advice?)

Hey guys just thought I'd post my specs for this seasons grow. What do you guys think? I'd love to hear it.

Happy growing to all the pepper community out there!

-Sunshine mix #4

-Vital Earth's Mega Worm earth worm castings (blended into soil)

-Boogie brew Compost Tea (main fert)

-SEA-90 ocean minerals (primary mineral source)

-Pure Protein Fish Hydrolysate (foliar)

-Xtreme Gardening Cal carb (foliar)

-Xtrene Gardening Azos (inoculant)

-I've yet to decide on a mychorizael inoculant, probably gonna get it through kelp4less the (endo humic blend)?

-Vital Earth's High-phos bat guano (for flowering)

Right on man, this is me trying to keep it as simple as possible lol....just trying to address the lack of nutrients in the soil and i dreaded calcium deficiency that hit my pods this past season. lol

More supplements than a gym junkie. Imo its not necessary to buy all this fancy stuff. I tried mildly fancy and probably did more harm than good. A good mate of mine does it simple. Good potting mix with bloom booster and his plants produce good numbers for potted plants.

For my containers I use:
  1. Coir soil mix from Atlas
  2. this fertilizer [sharedmedia=gallery:images:1752] about 2x per YEAR
  3. there is no #3
In my raised garden I use:
  1. Composted soil mixed 50/50 with
  2. Commercial potting mix 
  3. the same fertilizer as seen above 2x per YEAR
  4. there is no #4

In my potted plants, I use an organic potting mix which has no water saving crystals but a sustained released of composted materials. With this I add one coco peat brick to assist with moisture. I use seasol(seaweed extract) as a tonic with every second water and apart from all that they get a little dynamic lifter around the trunk which is a very slow release fertilizer. The only other thing is CalMag with every second watering if necessary.

About $25 worth of stuff and its almost all set and forget.

That's a lot of stuff. I'm using fish emulsion and cal mag on alternating weeks, and that's it. I'll occasionally use fox farms big bloom or compost tea, but those will be only when needed. If I add anything else it's too complicated for me to keep up with, so I keep it simple.

I am doing "hydro-in-dirt" this winter.
2 plants each in 1 gallon pots. (Experiment that is working quite well)
A single Reaper, a single Peach Habalokia and a Hand Grenade choco hab + peach Bhut in 3 gallon pots.
3 part Advanced Nutrients Hydro ferts every 3rd watering, with a touch of cal-mag+.

Spring outside will get some fine aged dirt with horse and chicken "ferts" added lava rock, perlite and sand, some shade and a mister for temps above 90F. Some myco in the holes and no other addition for the first month of growing.
Adjust as needed.

I get a dump truck of pre mixed soil (Orchid Mix) from my nursery ($230) enough for 400 5 gallon pots as I grow in containers, transplant, and water as needed with cal/mag and some fish/kelp in a sprayer maybe 1-2 times per month. Simple is better as years ago I thought the same thing that $300 woth of nutes was good. Nope dirt, water and sun......all you need and not so much on the water. Peppers hate wet feet and hate over nutes just as bad.

I'd get my mycorrhizal from www.fungi.com

I'd say Paul Stamets is a pretty solid guy to get it from. He pretty much wrote the book on mushrooms. Also, as far as I can tell, it's a very conscious company to be putting your money into.

There is an interesting thread on grass city discussing myco. Stickied in their organic section that's worth a read on the subject. Note the info on Trichoderma. Personally I would not use a product with the Trichoderma in it until my endo/ecto is well established.

AaronRiot said:
I'd get my mycorrhizal from www.fungi.com

I'd say Paul Stamets is a pretty solid guy to get it from. He pretty much wrote the book on mushrooms. Also, as far as I can tell, it's a very conscious company to be putting your money into.

There is an interesting thread on grass city discussing myco. Stickied in their organic section that's worth a read on the subject. Note the info on Trichoderma. Personally I would not use a product with the Trichoderma in it until my endo/ecto is well established.
Very true doesn't the trichoderma feast on the mycho? Could've sworn I read something on that before.

Just checked out the site you recommended seems pretty awesome, yet I'm on a bit of a budget and kelp4less seems like they fit in a bit better.
Unless you know anyone less expensive than that.

Very true doesn't the trichoderma feast on the mycho? Could've sworn I read something on that before.

Just checked out the site you recommended seems pretty awesome, yet I'm on a bit of a budget and kelp4less seems like they fit in a bit better.
Unless you know anyone less expensive than that.

It's $5 for an oz. all you need is a tiny sprinkle on the seed in the seed hole to inoculate each plant. It's a one time thing. Take a wet seed and dip it and be done.

Can probably save in other areas if $ is a factor - all your stuff looks pretty namey. Kijiji / Craig's list for castings. I found compost at $30/yd at the landscape shop in the spring. Mix in peat, castings, perlite, and a bit of lime and I'm good with a ton of mix on the cheap.

And you're right on about the Trich. I posted about that here and it's also on grass city. Trich is better introduced later on or not at all from what I've read at least.

ALSO, you'll want a bit of molasses in your water every now and then to feed the fungi ;-)

Edit: Yeah after another look you got a LOT of stuff on that list! Generally speaking, when I read things like eXtreme! etc. all I see in my head is a team of marketeers scheming for my hard-earned dollars. For your tea, I'd go all natural with whatever happens to be around + worm castings and a little molasses. Preferably fresh castings that haven't been pasteurized and sold in a bag. For the fish hydrolysate I am personally following PepperGuru's method: Toss fresh fish in bucket, add water, wait a month or so til it's all mush and BAM! there's your F.H. and it's made from the good parts rather than poop. See his glog for details.

AaronRiot said:
It's $5 for an oz. all you need is a tiny sprinkle on the seed in the seed hole to inoculate each plant. It's a one time thing. Take a wet seed and dip it and be done. Can probably save in other areas if $ is a factor - all your stuff looks pretty namey. Kijiji / Craig's list for castings. I found compost at $30/yd at the landscape shop in the spring. Mix in peat, castings, perlite, and a bit of lime and I'm good with a ton of mix on the cheap. And you're right on about the Trich. I posted about that here and it's also on grass city. Trich is better introduced later on or not at all from what I've read at least. ALSO, you'll want a bit of molasses in your water every now and then to feed the fungi ;-)   Edit: Yeah after another look you got a LOT of stuff on that list! Generally speaking, when I read things like eXtreme! etc. all I see in my head is a team of marketeers scheming for my hard-earned dollars. For your tea, I'd go all natural with whatever happens to be around + worm castings and a little molasses. Preferably fresh castings that haven't been pasteurized and sold in a bag. For the fish hydrolysate I am personally following PepperGuru's method: Toss fresh fish in bucket, add water, wait a month or so til it's all mush and BAM! there's your F.H. and it's made from the good parts rather than poop. See his glog for details.

Dude that fish hydrolysate method sounds awesome!! That's a must try. Thanks a ton man. You seriously put out some killer information. I'm looking to make my own soil next season. Only reason I got the good stuff this year is cause it was 50% off cuz a local hydro shop was closing down.

Sweet deal in that case, and for the fish...read in the PepperGuru glog for details on strength etc.

Most of the glogs on the site are RIPE with awesome tips and advice and methods. Great stuff to skim and browse through for little gems that might not find their way into the Q&A threads.

Back