• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My star not shining so bright...

This B.Starfish that has been outside for a week. Went to plant some into their final homes and notice its lost some bottom leaves and I pick up the pot and see mold on the bottom also spots on the stem. I watered it today with some peroxide. What do you guys think... is it ?
Picture%2B025.jpg

Picture%2B017.jpg

P.S it in a coner by itself now!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/zFKZZx4iW3Qt4MqnWoKLfhaVGW3E0aXyltztNxY9MHU=w958-h770-no

Loosing bottom leave's on a B-Star was normal for me.. It lost most of its leaves up until the Y section .. it kept its foliage up top. Mould can form anywhere, and as its in a warm and moist place it could be coincidental you have mould on the bottom. If the rest of the plant seems unaffected by mould, I would just keep on keeping on with it.  After growing them last season, I would HIGHLY recommend topping them ASAP, if you haven't already, as they grow tall and will fold over under pod weight so getting some lower branches forming and spreading the payload will increase output and save the plant.  I topped mine towards the end of the season and still had full branches grow and pod up before the season finished.  I put my starfish into a much larger pot and although it didn't grow much taller than a 1 - 1 1/2 metres  it helped stabilise the plant and feed the huge pod amount.  

KP - Staking or using tomato cages is recommended for all chile plants, topped or not.

MH - Would you let us know about your regular watering of this plant? As already noted, most likely the area is too wet on a regular basis.

Yup, look like mycorhizzae.  Unfortunately you probably killed it with the peroxide.

geeme said:
KP - Staking or using tomato cages is recommended for all chile plants, topped or not.

MH - Would you let us know about your regular watering of this plant? As already noted, most likely the area is too wet on a regular basis.

I don't think I've ever staked a capsicum, but If I do end up staking one it will probably be one of the tall lanky baccatums I'm growing this year.

Helvete said:
Yup, look like mycorhizzae.  Unfortunately you probably killed it with the peroxide.

I don't think I've ever staked a capsicum, but If I do end up staking one it will probably be one of the tall lanky baccatums I'm growing this year.

I had to stake most mine because the day after plant out it was windy as shit like 30mph range.. it's been pretty windy ever since too so most ended up with stakes. 

Helvete said:

This will be one of those tall baccatums your talking about... I had 4 of these things over a metre tall with 30-40 pods on each in a pot just bigger than a solo cup .. The branches will bend over to the sides until they basically touch the ground.. I ended up putting 2x in each large pot with a centre stake.. I then tied them both to it and to each other.. Even then they were so tall and lanky I topped them half way and they have grown back with 4-5 main branches now and is much more controllable..

simple guideline - white mold is usually beneficial. You see it a lot with Japanese Maples and other bonsai worthy species. People actually suggest to make sure to include it when transplanting to help boost colonies. If it is green, brown, pink, or other, I would look further into it as it is likely harmful.

Thanks guys for all input on the mold (learnt something) but it was really the brown spots on the stem and leaf drop that had me going. It looks like it set a pod so maybe its not all bad. Will try and post a better pic tomorrow of the spots on the stem. BTW anyone have a link on posting pics. Minus photobucket etc.Took me forever too get those up using my google photo account.

Mycorrhizal fungi is unlikely, the small tendrils coming from the root are barely visible to the naked eye to my understanding. Probably just one of the uncountable species of fungus that breaks down fresh organic matter.

meinchoh said:
That "mold" could be bacterial colonies (see above post)...
Absolutely right.
miguelovic said:
Mycorrhizal fungi is unlikely, the small tendrils coming from the root are barely visible to the naked eye to my understanding. Probably just one of the uncountable species of fungus that breaks down fresh organic matter.
I agree. Is this sitting on a flat surface where anaerobic bacteria could thrive?
Elevate it so it gets air to the bottom and the aerobic bacteria will take over.

Back