• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My T.Scorpions are lagging. Whats the deal?

Okay so I have put a lot of effort into these bitches and they are not reciprocating. I made my own soil mix comprised of more or less equal parts peat moss, vermiculite, and compost- maybe a little more than one part compost- and added a little alphalpha meal, liquid seaweed extract, as well as some beneficial microbes. My oldest is a couple months and it has 2 leafs that are just smaller than dimes and a third that is just noticeable. I have a couple petter peppers that I started at the same time in the same conditions and they are considerable bigger.
I have about 25 seedlings have sprouted about a week ago and they seem to be off to a much better start. I started these seeds by soaking them in a light solution of the seaweed extract and microbes.

any advice on how I can jump start these guys?

Your mix sounds like it would be well drained but without knowing any more details its hard to say if you have issues with Root zone temperatures, Root zone moisture levels, lighting or container issues or all or none of the above.
They may be slow growing but they aren't that slow growing normally if all variables are taken care of.

I am hedging my bets (guess) on your root zone being too cool/wet. How say you??

Reactions: PHB
Here are some plants that are 3 years old they wouldn't do squat for 10 months, in an act of desperation I put em in the ground.   They took off and pumped out crazy amounts of pods less than 2 months after that. Now I don't even worry about em they just do their thing.

SauceNpeppers 069.jpg

Prehensile said:
Here are some plants that are 3 years old they wouldn't do squat for 10 months, in an act of desperation I put em in the ground.   They took off and pumped out crazy amounts of pods less than 2 months after that. Now I don't even worry about em they just do their thing.

SauceNpeppers 069.jpg
Impressive!

willard3 said:
Read a book, the plants will grow better if you leave them alone.

Why do you often give this answer ? (like here, or here)

I mean "leave a plant alone" is not gardening. If you plant a seed in the soil and then do nothing except watering and harvesting, your are not "gardening" or "growing" peppers.

And if your statement was true the agribusiness firms wouldn't be spending millions of $ in greenhouses, irrigation system, monitoring sytem, fertilizers, etc. And no one would need to read a book or studies plants for years in horticulture schools ...

Don't get mad because of what I say, it's just my opinion and it may sound offensive but it's not. I just don't understand why you often say this.

PHB said:

Why do you often give this answer ? (like here, or here)

I mean "leave a plant alone" is not gardening. If you plant a seed in the soil and then do nothing except watering and harvesting, your are not "gardening" or "growing" peppers.

And if your statement was true the agribusiness firms wouldn't be spending millions of $ in greenhouses, irrigation system, monitoring sytem, fertilizers, etc. And no one would need to read a book or studies plants for years in horticulture schools ...

Don't get mad because of what I say, it's just my opinion and it may sound offensive but it's not. I just don't understand why you often say this.
Agree PHB! Another meaningless negative post.

To the OP.. I have similar problems with my TS as they do grow rather slow for me. At least they are teaching me one thing and that is patience;-)

I dont know if my input is any good here but here goes lol.
I planted T.scorpions myself and found the soil ones were a little slow like yours, also indoors.
I did have 1 in a hydroponics system i planted 2 weeks after and its about 5x the size of the soil ones.
But to be perfectly honest with you im the same I might tend to my plants to much, curiosity, anxious, ect. I want to see them grow and yield those hot peppers lol.
I'd say if they are healthy and your doing everything right and you plan on keeping them indoors dont worry to much you can grow all year round if it takes 3 months, 5 months or even 10 months once it starts your good to go till the plant dies or you want a new one.

I don't think Willard was trying tah be negative,  he was just stating most people especially rookies tend to love on their plants way too much.   One thing you  need to do is keep an eye out for critters, it does not take long for aphids or white flies to tear up your crop, they also tend to bring in them damn mites which just destroy whatever is left.  

Most people over fertilize or water,  its just human nature, so leave em be and things will work out.

If you need Scorpion Seeds  I have about 10,000 available, now I just save them from the BEST pods

PHB;  I do know if that one  member left his plants infected with fungus alone,

"They would have certainly DIED!"

Prehensile said:
I don't think Willard was trying tah be negative,  he was just stating most people especially rookies tend to love on their plants way too much.   One thing you  need to do is keep an eye out for critters, it does not take long for aphids or white flies to tear up your crop, they also tend to bring in them damn mites which just destroy whatever is left.  

Most people over fertilize or water,  its just human nature, so leave em be and things will work out.

If you need Scorpion Seeds  I have about 10,000 available, now I just save them from the BEST pods

PHB;  I do know if that one  member left his plants infected with fungus alone,

"They would have certainly DIED!"

I agree 100% with you. If you are a beginner (like me) you will probably take care too much and over-water or over-fert. You will even kill the plant sometimes whereas if you had left it alone it would have survived. So if you think in terms of "results", letting mother nature do the job by herself is usually better when you begin in growing. But you don't learn anything. Failing is the basic process of learning. You have over-watered this season ? Good, now you know it, and won't do this mistake again.

So rather than saying "leave them alone" it's imo better to say things like "water them only when soil is bone dry", or "use NPK x-x-x after week 4 in small amount", etc. This is how people learn and this is I guess why most of us are all here : trying to understand a little the secrets of mother nature.

Well thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it. I took some pictures but being that I'm a noob on this board I'm having trouble finding out how to upload photos.
I think I'll be water my peppers less frequent.

In order to upload pics, you need to use a secondary photo hosting website like photobucket... Then you can just copy and paste the pics here...

The two bigger ones in the bottom right are the peter peppers the others are scorpions. They were all planted at the same time.

My second round of seeds seem like they are doing better than the first.

Mycohead said:

The two bigger ones in the bottom right are the peter peppers the others are scorpions. They were all planted at the same time.

My second round of seeds seem like they are doing better than the first.
Those front the first pic are couple of months old? They look like they are couple of weeks old, probably not enough light

Reactions: PHB
They are a couple of month old ??? They look like 15 days old.

They are very leggy, as ZenPepper said give them a lot more light.

Back