• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding My “twin jalapeño”

Not really a question, but looking for opinions. If you have seen my grow post for this year, you know I have a jalapeño that presented a “twin” pod one stem, 2 peppers). Well it will be ready for harvest tonight or tomorrow. I am saving the seeds from it and keeping them separate from the others I will harvest. I’m going to grow out those seeds to see if that twin is a anomaly , or some type of hereditary thing going on. I am leaning towards anomaly , since that is the only one to present, and the plant from the same seed pack has not presented a twin.

I’m not firmly entrenched in the genetic/science aspect of growing (yet), so I am asking for opinions on what others think will happen. Thank you!

I suspect most likely it was just two pods that just grew into each other, starting close enough together that they fused together at the stem.

But if it grows true next season, that would be quite interesting! Be sure to update us!

Will do. Like I said though, I think it is an anomaly. Seeds from these two will grow out normal. Though it would be crazy if I got more twins. They do run in my family (just not through me!). 😂🤣

E6ABD27C-84D1-41E8-8016-D0527EBA10D3.jpeg

My twins are here!

I'd lean toward anomaly too, but sometimes the genetics will make something more likely to occur even through it still might not occur all that frequently - I've never seen a twin-pepper bush before, anyway. If nothing else, it's a good excuse to grow more jalapenos :)

BTW, those pods look awesome.
SIAMESE-TWIN TOMATO

1665593103882.png

On the Internet I see that others have encountered the same curiosity, and the phenomenon, which occurs in a wide variety of plants, is known as "fasciation," or "cresting." The technical explanation is that it occurs when the growing tip of something -- the "apical meristem" -- spreads perpendicularly to the direction of its normal growth, producing flattened, ribbon-like, or elaborately contorted tissue. It can occur in stems, roots, fruits or flower heads, and among its causes are random mutations in growing cells, bacterial, viral and fungal infections, mite and insect attacks, frost, and chemical and mechanical damage. Fasciation is rare overall, but has been observed in at least a hundred different plant species.

You may be familiar with various forms of Cockscomb plants producing solid, broad, convoluted flower heads. Those heads are said to be "fasciated."

Last edited:
Back