• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests My worst fears are confirmed........Aphids

Definitely get some lady bugs. I was battling aphids for weeks with the soap / neem and had good results, but never really killed them all and spraying a lot of plants every other day was taking an hour to do. I picked up 1500 for $7.00 from a local garden store and it's pretty hard to find an aphid now. If you do get some check out this post http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=12438 The tips seem to have made the difference and almost a week later I still have tons of ladybugs that seem to have made my pepper their new home.

LGHT said:
Definitely get some lady bugs. I was battling aphids for weeks with the soap / neem and had good results, but never really killed them all and spraying a lot of plants every other day was taking an hour to do. I picked up 1500 for $7.00 from a local garden store and it's pretty hard to find an aphid now. If you do get some check out this post http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=12438 The tips seem to have made the difference and almost a week later I still have tons of ladybugs that seem to have made my pepper their new home.
Did you glue their wings together with soda so they didn't fly away?

chillilover said:
Did you glue their wings together with soda so they didn't fly away?

Not at all. I followed several suggested steps prior to releasing them as noted in the link above. I checked them yesterday and I still have hundreds of them all over the pepper plants and can see them flying around the other plants in the garden as well.

I called my local garden store and asked if they sold ladybugs and the girl was like "excuse me"? She had never heard of people buying ladybugs to eat other bugs. Looks like Im going to have to stick with the sprays.

I have just had the same problem here in the UK. After advice I used a spray called the Ultimate Bug Killer by Bayer and it seems to have worked with no adverse effects.

LGHT said:
just order ladybugs online unless you plan on spraying every other day for weeks.

It's not possible for all of us to buy ladybugs. In some areas/countries the fear of releasing non-local insects and other animals outweighs the possitive effects it might have.

It's not an option for me anyway, so I like to read about other ways to get rid of them if I get an infestation.

MrArboc said:
It's not possible for all of us to buy ladybugs. In some areas/countries the fear of releasing non-local insects and other animals outweighs the possitive effects it might have.

It's not an option for me anyway, so I like to read about other ways to get rid of them if I get an infestation.

Wow that's tough. If that's the case just get some neem oil. I used that with success for a while, but because I didn't have time to spray daily and went on vacation for 4 days when I came back they where everywhere!

Back