• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

mystery ailment on my prize superhots

Hi friends,

I have a yellow brain strain and a chocolate moruga scorpion that are both putting out these thin spindly leaves and I don't understand what they're trying to tell me.  There is no obvious pest damage.  Is this some sort of incurable viral problem?

Thanks,

Justin

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 84
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 76
Leaves look mutated, much like the Candlelight Mutant leaves. Someone on the Discord PLC posted a photo of a similar issue affecting his Aji Ahuachapan. Similar mutated leaves, skinny and longer than the normal non mutant plant. Here is a link to the photos he uploaded to imgur. https://imgur.com/gallery/4F2K1lJ If you get it to fruit, you may consider isolating it because mutants are a thing of interest now and I am sure many folks would grow those out for you and/or buy the seeds off of you. The guy on discord, who actually also happens to be named Justin, was nice enough to share seeds from his mutant pepper plant with many others in hope of getting more mutants. Good luck and keep us posted on the development of this interesting plant. 

That's very concerning. I think it's be best to destroy the plants. At least isolate them and see what other symptoms they have. It could be a mosaic virus, which also will live in the soil a long time(get rid of that too). If you isolate, make sure they're far away from your healthy peppers and others in the same family. If they're in the ground, plant other plants from a different family and plant your peppers away from that area in the future. Do not give out seeds from them.

Not likely that two plants of different varieties both mutated in the same way in the same season.

More likely herbicide drifted into the area or a virus.

If there are other peppers nearby that aren't affected, it's not likely to be herbicide drift.

Back