• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Mystery Beetle INVASION

Ok Im not to worried,
I know where there coming from and how to get rig of them, but what are they?
CIMG0048.jpg

These guys come every year around this time. They come in my window in my office, the same place I start my plants. They don't seem to be doing any damage to my plants, but they are annoying none the less. Nothing like bugs crawling on me while I'm on my computer. I have to keep my window open as my office gets super hot because it's up stairs. They also don't seem to live very long, and only last for ~2 weeks.

I vacuum my office every day and get them, but I was thinking they may be beneficial to the plants like lady bugs. Should I leave a few on the plants? ore are they bad?

I believe those are stink beetles. They spray a chemical that has a foul smell, and it can (sometimes, but rarely) kill vegetable plants.

Im starting to think that these are carpet beetles. Time to drop a BOMB on these bastards.

Ahhh the joys of living in a warmer climate :rolleyes:

Carpet beetles are super tiny. How big are those cause it does look like one.

Half the size of a lady bug. about as big as a fat grain of rice. The only thing that makes me doubt its a Carpet beetle is the fact that it is seasonal. seems to come around every year at this time for about 2 weeks then poof they are gone. And Im 80% sure they come in my window and not out of my carpet. There is a large tree outside of my window.

Dumb question, but nto sure where you are at, why not take the picture to a local hydro shop and ask them or a local nursery thye should be able to let you know. I tried google but no luck. LOL

I find little guys just like that on random walls and the tile floor in the kitchen. Whenever I find them I vaccuum the whole house and inspect what comes up in the Dyson. Never found any in the carpets either. Very interesting.

I don't mind them all that much because they are easy to control, but I am curious if they eat aphids or plants. If I find that they are beneficial I will just relocate all I find to my green house.

One of those came in my window a couple of days ago and parked itself next to my pepper seedlings. I wasn't too concerned since it pretty obviously came in the window.

Carpet beetles (or dermestids) eat protein--they are used to convert carcasses into very tidy meat-free skeletons. more of a danger to your taxidermy than your pepper plants, I'd say.

Back