• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Mystery pepper (is it even one?)

Hello!

Last summer I got a little plant as a pepper, which was supposedly a pepper grown from some mystery seed from Mexico. Even for a pepper the plant seems to be very slow-growing, it also seems to need way more nutrients than I'm used to (from the very limited pepper-growing experience I have).

Characteristics that seem pepper-like to me:

- The leaves turn yellow quite quickly when there's a lack of nutrients
- Purple-ish stems
- It seems to just have started creating the first signs of flowers, which look pepper-like at first glance

Characteristics that don't seem pepper-like:
- The stems and leaves are hairy
- It doesn't smell like a pepper, more like a breed of tomato. Moreover: tomato plants are also hairy

I've attached a photo. Does anyone have any clue? 

Attachments

• IMG_20200923_174006copy.jpg
    IMG_20200923_174006copy.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 148
HBY said:

I just realized that you're probably thinking the lime I sprinkled on top is moss haha. There is a little moss growing, but it's not really visible on this photo.

I did some research on clawing leaves (immediately ended up at forums for cannabis growing, welcome to the Netherlands). It does seem to be wet feet, like you mentioned. Apparently plants tend to curl up the leaves to increase evaporation. 

What would be the lowest temperature this plant can handle? I could put it outside at night to increase changes in temperature (most of my windows don't open), it's still above freezing.
I dont know ur wild chili tolerance but most species handle easily low as 5°C if day temp is about room temperature.

HBY said:

I just realized that you're probably thinking the lime I sprinkled on top is moss haha. There is a little moss growing, but it's not really visible on this photo.

Yep, you're exactly right  :)

I did some research on clawing leaves (immediately ended up at forums for cannabis growing, welcome to the Netherlands). It does seem to be wet feet, like you mentioned. Apparently plants tend to curl up the leaves to increase evaporation. 

What would be the lowest temperature this plant can handle? I could put it outside at night to increase changes in temperature (most of my windows don't open), it's still above freezing.

At that size, I'd keep it > = 5C/40F - same as K said - but with bigger ones I've gone right down to almost freezing - and even very slightly below, by accident - without issue.  Still, about 36F/22C is probably the lowest I want them to get.  Warmer daytimes and drier weather seem to improve their ability to deal with overnight cold and stay healthy.  And if you want it to grow and produce instead of just survive I wouldn't push the envelope on cold weather.

Putting it a window without opening the window - especially if you can pull curtains around it to give it a cool air pocket - should be fine if it's having trouble setting.  I wouldn't be concerned with putting it outside, especially if it's mostly been an indoor plant.  I have an Aji Largo Rocoto inside right now that was mostly dropping flowers before, despite plenty of them, but now it's starting to set pods in the tent without any movement or special treatment.  You may find yours cooperate as well with a little more time - though the overnight window idea might speed that along. 

Back