event N.C. State CASI Chili Championships

Well, since it's been a while since we heard from our boy Bubba, I will go ahead and post this years CASI State Campionships notice.

As is tradition, this years event will again take place the day before Mama'a day in Greensboro, NC. (That's May 10 for those keeping notes!) As always, all money raised will benefit the Piedmont Epilepsy Information Service, who buys Epilepsy medications and distributes them to families in need. (It is a VERY expesive habit, those wacky Epilepsy medicatons!).

Anyhow, here's the info:

5/10/2008 Greensboro, NC Piedmont Epilepsy Information Service

Description: NC State CASI Chili Championship
Location: Piedmont Triad Farmer's Market, 1 mile south of I-40 on Sandy Ridge Road, Greensboro, NC

CASI sanctioned event.
Entry fee $20.00 CASI/First Entry, $10 each additional entry. (Cook both CASI and Freestyle for only $30)

Please bring throw-down for an anticipated crowd.

CASI, Showmanship, Restaurant, Juniors, Freestyle and the John Hare award for Generosity
Make checks payable to Piedmont Pepper Pod
Turn-in 12:00 pm
Meat is cooks choice.
Contact Mike Williams, Great Pepper 336-284-4567 (home) bubba@ncchili.com for more information.

Again, for those keeping score, Chili Man will be entered in EVERY catagory except Juniors (it's the wrinkles and general look of life beating me down that keeps me outta that one).

Hope that some of you can enter or attend, even though its a tough weekend. Last year we had over 40 cooks and the level of chili was AWESOME!

from one CM to another - hope you kick it!

how many different chilis do you have to prepare for an event like this? do they all have to be made from scratch on the day or can you pre-cook the day before?

Hey other CM!!! For the all important "Texas style" (that's meat and sauce ONLY. It's what wins the big money at the world championships) it must be made onsite. It's the biggest challenge for me because I am a believer in beans and veggies in my bowl of red (but mostly MEAT! Lot's of meat!)

For the restaurant, freestyle, and peoples choice, premade chili can be brought in and heated to temp. I use what I call my "Bread and butter" recipe for that. As it stands, I have won the People's choice three years running with it, Restaurant two years running and have won once, and come in second two out of the last three years in Freestyle. In Texas style, I have only placed once (a fifth) in the past three years. Bubba does well in that catagory and has made the Worlds the last two years. He and I also battle hard for the Showmanship piece. I won my first and second year, but Bubba booted me out last year and I placed third (whaaa!??) Lastly, is the most important John Hare award for generosity. It goes to whoever generates the most cash for the charity. I have been honored to win the last two years as well and plan on keeping that up until someone either shoots me or names the chili cook off after me!

wish I could be there to be a judge...I love judging CASI chiles...I judged a cookoff about a month ago and actually gave 10s to three of the entries (rarely ever will I give a 10)...best bowls of red ever...then there was one that smelled and tasted like shoe polish...it got a 0....most were in the 7-9 range...they had about 50 cooks...I judged in the preliminary round and they wouldn't let anyone of the preliminary judges be in on the final table...***pout***

My buddy, Matt, and I judged a very ametuer contest last weekend and it was a hoot! One of the "chili's" was basically Pasta sauce with a bit of chili powder (but very good for whatever it was!), one was a soup, one smelled of either booze or spoiled meat, and three were fairly good. None would have spent two minutes at an actual cookoff without some coaching, time and love. Why this story? It really lets you understand the absolute quality of the Casi (and ICS) cook offs. The love, attention,a nd obsession given to the bowls of red is astounding! Wish you could be there Bama, there is some great cooks!

The obsession folks have with good chile is what got me into growing peppers in the first place...still looking for that perfect taste...perfect to who?....me... :lol:

I have told my CASI buddies here in the Fort Worth area when I perfect my spice I will probably join in as one of the cooks...I am close but not there yet...but...being around this crew and judging the chiles I think I have a good idea what is required for a winning pot of chile...one of my buddies won 2nd overall two years ago...Dee...do you know Dee?...he has been to Terlingua for I don't know how many years running and Bill Lester..another good friend of mine....

My tag line at the bottom of my posts used to say "the first ingedient to makin g great chili is total obsession. the second ingresient is more obsession." I am yet to meet many of gang at CASI who is not obsessed with great chili (and raising funds). I also enjoy the judging, but am hooked on the rushes of adrenaline that come hand in hand with the pressentations of the awards and then getting back to the drawing board if I don't place as well as I'd like.

I do not know Dee or Bill Lester, although I recognize the latter. I have yet to go to Terlingua for the Worlds. I don't have the time for as many cook offs as I'd like, so I hang my hat on the State Championships every year and that has yet to pan out. But this year, I think I have it! MAybe not first, but good enough for top three and that will get me there. I have recently worked out a new recipe and it is awesome and repeatable. That is to say that I have duplicated the flavor every time (4 so far) as well as the color and consistency. I really feel like I've got a shot. BUT I have said that before and then some of the old guard whips my ass. I cannot wait for May!

I hear ya loud and clear...what you are saying is perfection...and that is what I am after also...

Good luck, Bama! I hope to go chili toe to chili toe with you someday in Texas! Til then everyone else watch out.

BTW I named the new chili "No Criminal Intent" (cause chili this good should be a crime!)

hey guys and gals i know ive been out for a while long story short been working my buns off at work changed part time jobs and not to put a wet rag on the chili party but my marriage is in the toilet in a bad bad way.

i need 5 numbers and a powerball so i can buy a rv and cook chili 52 weeks of the year

i wish i had the time to get alot of stuff together for this years showmanship but it looks like im gonna have to put more time and effort behind the scence and help in judging and registration. time will tell.

like vic said in the post if anyone is close and wants to attend or participate give me a e mail and i will try and help as much as possible

this year and in the years to follow the only way i might get to go to texas and cook is winning the state (traveling money) or to get some kind of sponcer.
oh yea vic i got my 1st place world showmanship jacket the other day can't wait to show it to ya!!

next month you get a chance to stop and see us well be cooking in spencer and camp care free.....and south carolina

bussy bussy month
bubba out

Hey Bubs, so sorry to hear about you and the missus. Always a bummer to hear, but know that better times are ahead no matter which way it turns out.

On a more positive note, you are looking awesome with your new thinner persona. Now we can wear each others clothes!!! It'll be soooooooooo cooooooooooool!

Good luck at the Spencer and other cook offs,Ii will not be able to get but to the States.

Glad to have you back!

hey vicster i got a quick question for ya we had a meeting yesterday for the state championship and i advised them that show teams would need some time with no music and entertainment on stage. i will probably not do show this year so would noon to 12:30 be good or would you rather show be from 12:15 to 12:45???? yea there is no scence in doing show if your going to kick my butt as bad as your gonna kick it :)

Bubs, I always feel that show judging should be done early. ONce the crowds pull in and I'm seving my ass off, it's harder to be as charming (and get my bribe on "wanna beer, cash, pictures of me nude? Just vote for ME!))

And yes I'm considering kicking your ass. In fact, here comes the first smack talk of the chili year.....

I will win EVERY catagory I am in (that's 6 if your countin: Texas, Feestyle, Restaurant, Peoples choice, Showmanship, and The John Hare award for Generosity)!!! That's right, get your history books out and throw them away, I'm rewriting it in 2008!

MMMMM, BOLD!

the discussion we had was that the finals table judges insted of sitting around with the thumbs up there butts is to judge showmanship. the tanglewood has show early and im always in "chili cooking mode" we have one more meeting so as soon as i find out ill let you know. im probably gonna be in the judges area so ill have to peek out and see how show gose this year.

Having the finals table judges do the show judging is brilliant! I couldn't imagine just having to set that long. I would get bored as hell and then drunk as hell. I'm figuring that most folks will have their pots on stew at that time and lets be honest, there isn't much "show" going on. It's usually mostly just well decorated booths. No dances, songs, step rouotines, etc. If it weren't for your crowd interaction with the ring toss and my mom running around like a lunatic, it would be a fairly boring showmanship anyhow. (Not to be mean, just looking at the CASI folks at Terlingua and how ours goes here)

BTW, I may have recruited a past World's competitor to join the ranks. His pal and cooking partner have been to and won Fire on the Mountain in WV and have competed in the Worlds twice. H was at the cart yesterday to sample my new Texas style and it seemed to jar him back into wanting to cook. I let him know about the dates,etc. So we may have one more quality cook or two if Marshall stews his own!

i know schedules are tight but if you want to get a day before off we could talk it up on the tv (got fox 8 kinda saying yes) rock 92 simon and the country cat station on tap for friday morning

Fridays are a tough day to get off, unless the weather is bad, let me see how things are going by that time! i may have Tuesday's off by then and would be more than happy to stop up if there is need.

We are leaving for vacation (Disney, of course) today so my postings will be more hot and miss for the next week, but I'll see whats coming and try to join you on the interviews!

Back