• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Naga/Jolokia, hard as it sounds?

AlabamaJack said:
I just went back and looked at my germination log from this past January/February and the superhots I tried all germinated within two weeks...that was in the controlled environment of my homemade germinator that kept the temperature at a constant 86F (30C)...

there are several things I learned from starting seeds this past season..
1. I will not use the "mini-greenhouse" lids on the germination trays...it keeps them too moist IMO and I got a bad case of mold/fungus/mildew on my soil.

2. Soil...I tried several different kinds of soil to start my seeds in, even a couple of different kinds of seed starting soil and the best was Hoffmans Seed Starting Mix...very light & holds moisture really well..

3. The first round of seeds I started I only planted 1/4" (~5mm) deep and I got a lot of seedlings with "hat"s on as a result...the second round I planted 1/2" deep (little over 1 cm) and had much better results as far as the seed husk coming off the cotyledons...IMO it was the depth that "pulled" the husks off the seeds..it may increase the time for the seedlings to break the surface but it is worth it for me not to have to try and get the hats off of them...

4. I will gently mist the soil but don't soak it...keeping the seeds in wet soil will rot them...

5. Bottom water, bottom water, bottom water...after the seedlings sprout, nothing touches their leaves or top of the soil if I can help it...I will only bottom water them from now on...

of all the things I listed, IMO soil temperature, not air temperature is the key ingredient to germinating seeds. once your temps rise above 90F (32C) or fall below 80F (27C) decreases in germination rates occured..

I am not saying what I have written is gospel, rather just stating what worked best for me...

That is some really useful info, thanks AJ.

Back