• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense naga jolokia purple

editedhpim2121.jpg

editedhpim2126.jpg

editedhpim2123.jpg

is a Cayenne-like variety, similar to many other commonly grown and used in India and East-Asia.
Its fame is mainly due to the fact in the years 2001-2005 it was supposed to be the fabled "C.Frutescens var. Nagahari" which rated 855,000 shu in tests by some Indian laboratories.
Now we know it was not true
But still it is a tall, slender and beautiful plant which grows typically to 4ft tall. The plant is a heavy producer of small, thin 3in long dark purple/black pods,. Foliage is purple/black and the purple flowers are simply stunning. An absolute beauty it could be used as ornamental or edible
Pods turn from purple to mahogany to red

I don't believe it was the naga jolokia purple that was tested at 855,000 SHU,it was the naga jolokia but back then all the naga/bhuts, and even the dissapointing pc-1 type were all labbelled as naga jolokia. The purple naga jolokia has been a round a long time and from what I remember(and from above pic) its an annuum. Its probably also from nagaland and is a jolokia(pepper/chile) which is likely where the similarities end.

Are these from the seeds distributed and sold by a member here as "purple bhuts"? We don't want any cunfusion here.

Are these from the seeds distributed and sold by a member here as "purple bhuts"? We don't want any cunfusion here.
who said its purple bhuts ... the name is Naga Jolokia Purple ...and its not C.Chinense is annuum so how could you be confused there? :crazy:

Yeah. How on earth could I? :eek:

Don't worry to much, If I looked like you I'd be confused as all get out right now myself.
That Avatar is hilarious. I almost pee'd a little, and my table has nose beer on it right now after seeing that.

Back