• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Naga Morich - Separating the Facts from the Rumors

I've heard a lot of information regarding the Naga Morich, but not all of it match.
Here are some questions I hope will put an end to it (at least for me):
  • To what color does the pod ripe, orange or red?
  • How many pods grow on a single plant per season (in perfect weather)?
  • How much time does it usually take for a seed to sprout?
  • How many seeds are in each pod?
  • How hot is the average pod (in Scovilles)?

I'll try to answer, although this is my first season growing them and I don't have any ripe pods yet.

- They ripen to red
- again, my first season, but one of my plants already has 15+ chillies on it, and it's not even summer here yet. The plant is about 3-4 months old. Compared to the other varieties I'm growing, it looks like it will be one of the heaviest producers.
- My seeds took between 5 and 7 days to sprout if I recall correctly.
- Again, I haven't had any ripe pods, put from everything I've heard there aren't as many seeds per pod as other varieties.
- Well, according to the hplc tests that have been done, about 1 million. But it'd depend a lot on growing conditions, heat, amount of water, etc. Judging be the reactions people have when they eat them, I think it's safe to say they will be some of, if not the hottest chillies you'll ever eat.

#1: Under the correct conditions, red is the final ripe color. In cooler climates, it can be hard to get past orange (as in mine).

#2: I'd say I had 50+ pods on one plant grown in the ground. Similar pod set on another plant growing in a VERY LARGE pot (20" diameter).

#3: Usually 7-21 days, depending on viability of seed, germination conditions, temps, etc.

#4: Didn't officially "count", but I'd venture between 20-30 in an average full size mature pod.

#5: Don't have an official way to test, but as mentioned, probably one of the hottest you'll ever put in your mouth. I'll never have ideal growing condiitons such as New Mexico, USA or Asaam, India, but they'e hot enough to blow me away!

I hope this helps. :)

Chris

Omri said:
I've heard a lot of information regarding the Naga Morich, but not all of it match.
Here are some questions I hope will put an end to it (at least for me):
  • To what color does the pod ripe, orange or red?
  • How many pods grow on a single plant per season (in perfect weather)?
  • How much time does it usually take for a seed to sprout?
  • How many seeds are in each pod?
  • How hot is the average pod (in Scovilles)?

I would like to add my 2 cents.

After growing this for a complete season I am convinced that there are substantial genetic variations. I get completely different looking fruit from different plants grown from the same seeds. I understand now how the Brits in Dorset were able to breed their own unique variation. It is actually quite easy to do.

Alright, here's my take.
-Ripen grom green to orange to red
-# of pods depends on size of plant. My huge Dorset naga produced 1500-2000 pods.
-My seeds probably took a week to germinate
-Probably 20 or so seeds per pod.
-The scoville will likely vary quite a bit with different climates and different growing tequniques and environments. My early Nagas didn't seem as hot as the ones picked in hotter temps but I'm a terrible judge for heat. The Morich has been tested as high as 1,598,227 SHU

1,500-2,000 pods?! In one season?! How old was that plant? :O
Also if the color is indeed red, why do some people pick them at the orange stage?

I think my big Naga was started around this time last year, maybe December.
From what I've heard, in India/Bangladesh they generally eat the pods when green? I don't know why. Most people here pick them when orange because they can take a long time to go red and the heat is already there.

woody said:
Pods on the plant should go red, if you pick the pods green they will only go orange.
o0o... that's a new one.
If true then all the orange ones are defective. :lol:

I've picked pods that were tri-colored...green tip to orange to red by the stem. In a couple days they turned red when left un-refrigerated.

They are very pretty when tri-colored.

dang your a compulsive poster Omri :lol: :lol:

It looks like the others gave you good answeres, but I thought I'd just also account for your furute Nagas as I supplied you the seeds and I have high hopes you'll be pleased. I can tell you that they will in fact produce about as good of results as Potawie's as all mine grew about 3 feet tall and produced about 50 peppers at a time and after picked would keep producing. Unfortunately I started mine to early and only got about 3 pickings from the plants but they all turned a beautiful dark evil red and were plenty hot. Good luck!

Thanks, you are no doubt the man! :D
I also have some Nagas from Slinter, so I didn't use all the seeds you sent me (Saving them just in case...).
I got great answers, and I'm actually really happy about it.

Here's my experience:

To what color does the pod ripe, orange or red?Red
How many pods grow on a single plant per season (in perfect weather)? ALOT!
How much time does it usually take for a seed to sprout? 2-4 weeks
How many seeds are in each pod? 5-10 seeds
How hot is the average pod (in Scovilles)? 900,000-1,000,000+

Back