• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Naga Morich - Separating the Facts from the Rumors

What are you going to use them all for? Sauce? I've got 4 dorset and 4 morich (although 2 of each are a little stunted from a problem I had with my potted plants a while back). Still, the others are covered with fruit and flowers, so I think I'll have enough to get by...

I plan on eating as many as I can while fresh. I will dry some and make sauce from some, maybe give some away, collect lots of seed and hopefully never have to buy seed ever again!

Hi Guys,

many of you will have had seed from me in 2005 or 2006 so heres my tuppence worth

1.To what color does the pod ripen to?

naga_morich.jpg

In perfect conditions & with a long growing season RED, if not they will struggle to get past the orange stage. The bangladeshi only use them in there green stage and even then they only wipe cut pods on the food and rarely eat them. Wimps!!

2. How many pods grow on a single plant per season (in perfect weather)? How about this:

IMG_0375_1.jpg

Only Joking!! My 2/3 year plants can produce over 150 pods in a good season. Thats 15 bottles of Naga Snakebite Private Reserve per plant :-)

3.How much time does it usually take for a seed to sprout?

In the right germination conditions (65-80oF), about 4 to 8 days in my experience. If your having trouble and want a more detailed germination guide, just drop me a PM.

4. How many seeds are in each pod?

Not many (viable seeds) compared to other Chinenses. Total seeds maybe 30 or which only a handful will be fertile/viable. When saving seed I end up discarding at least two thirds. This is why some peoples germination rates are poor as people save all the seed.

Nagacross3.jpg

5. How hot is the average pod (in Scovilles)?

Depends on the growing conditions, soil medium, water regime etc etc. I have to import most of the pods for the snakebite sauce direct from Bangladesh as the UK growing conditions just arent good enough to make it into the sauce. A university here in the UK tested one Naga pod and it measured 1.598m SHU. The average pod (grown in the right conditions is probably nearer the 900k -1m SHU mark)

If you still have any doubts as to how hot these bangladeshi bad boys are. ready the entry 'The worst day of my chile life' in my journal here:

http://thechileman.blogspot.com/

You can find much more info on the Naga Morich in our database here:

http://www.thechileman.org/results....h&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&submit=Search

and here:

http://www.thechileman.org/naga_morich.php

All the best

Mark

chilliman64 said:
will seed saved from the orange pods germinate?
Finally a question I can answer, yay! :onfire:
The answer to your question is 'YES'.
How do I know that? because I used some seeds from orange pods myself, and they sprouted all good and nice. :lol:

I think orange is the 'defective' mature version of the pod.
Red is healthy color (again, just assuming).

chilliman64 said:
why defective? defective means there's something wrong with it?
Well Mark said that it would go red in optimal conditions, so it means the color should be red.
If it's not the color that should have been, it's defective. :oops:

Red pods are fully mature. There is nothing wrong with orange pods its just most of the seeds might not be viable. You will get much better germination rates from seeds taken from red pods.

Early in the season it would take forever for my nagas to turn from light orange to red. Later in the season many pods skipped orange and went straight to red.

chuk hell said:
In a couple days they turned red when left un-refrigerated.
I left the few I had on the plant when multi-coloured or orange, but same here, it only took a couple of days for them to turn red.

Back