• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Naga Morich Winter Project

Omri said:
At night it is, and it WILL get colder.
Now for me I can use blankets, but that's clearly not a solution for a plant. :lol:

Ok, so, are they in a small room, like an extra bedroom or closet, or are they out in one of the main living areas? In other words, would it work to keep something simple like a light bulb burning where they are, or would some kind of bottom heat work better?

Pam said:
Ok, so, are they in a small room, like an extra bedroom or closet, or are they out in one of the main living areas? In other words, would it work to keep something simple like a light bulb burning where they are, or would some kind of bottom heat work better?
I have an extra room that I use for storing, that's where I keep them.
The cheapest way to keep the temp stable is my kind of way. :lol:
If it's something that needs a socket, I have more than one available. :)
Now will some kind of desk lamp do the trick? is there a specific kind?
Also, what do you mean by "bottom heat"?

Thanks for all the help. :rolleyes:

If it is not a huge room, has insulated outside walls and you can close it up, a simple baseboard heater will keep it toasty without a huge electricity bill.

Just wanted to let everybody know that this will be my last post to this message board. I will stop posting due to the high stress that is involved with dealing with rude people. Supposed to fun right? Couple of people on this message board, seem to have no clue about message board etiquette, and common courtesy. So its time for me to move on, thanks to all those kind people that are posting here.

Good luck scarecrow.
Omni, you can buy a cheap heating mat to put under your plants. There are several types made for plants.

wordwiz said:
If it is not a huge room, has insulated outside walls and you can close it up, a simple baseboard heater will keep it toasty without a huge electricity bill.
I think I'll do it.

scarecrow said:
Omri, good luck on that. Thanks for the compliment. You are a very kind person, you and your rolling eyes.
Thanks a lot, you're a nice person too. :rolleyes:

scarecrow said:
Just wanted to let everybody know that this will be my last post to this message board. I will stop posting due to the high stress that is involved with dealing with rude people. Supposed to fun right? Couple of people on this message board, seem to have no clue about message board etiquette, and common courtesy. So its time for me to move on, thanks to all those kind people that are posting here.
I'm not sure what exactly you are talking about, but you shouldn't let people ruin your fun.
It's great reading your comments, and you're good at it.

POTAWIE said:
Good luck scarecrow.
Omni, you can buy a cheap heating mat to put under your plants. There are several types made for plants.
I don't think I've seen those before, do you have an example?

I have a large one and several small ones that are used with standard size nursery trays. I'll see if I can get/find a pic for you.

scarecrow said:
Hello everyone!

This is my first post to this message board. This summer is my first experience growing peppers indoors and out.
Outdoors I have a few common varieties going such as Pablanos, Serrano’s, and some bell peppers. (Will post some of those pictures some other time)

Winter is coming! Here in Colorado Springs (Zone 5).

Time to start peppers indoors, and I wanted to share my winter project with you all.

I got Naga Morich :onfire: peppers from 2 different sources, and started germination about two weeks ago.

Here are some pictures.

9-8-07
9-8-07-IMG_0007.jpg

9-8-07-IMG_0003.jpg

For germination I used 10 gal fish tank, with glass cover, and 4 fluorescent lights. Works very nicely, holds heat and humidity! Perfect for germination! Was able to germinate seeds within 7 days, I soaked the seeds for about an hour prior to sowing.

I have a 45 gallon sitting there doing nothing(since I put in floating floors)..I might have a 10 gallon not too shure..im wondering..I can get foam wrapped plastic from the big blocks of glass at work..cover the tank and well introduce lights or would the tank be too big

Here's a setup I got several years ago for about $35 CND but I had to buy the taller dome, it came with a short one.

18002964934d948dd735gw3.jpg

And here's my large heating pad which is good for 4 trays and I bought the thermostat to go with it.

I have a question about the lights I have.
It says "TUNGSRAM 36W F74 Day Light 2350Lm", are they any good for the plants?

I wonder - wouldn't a waterbed heater work as well? I have one laying around. It's waterproof, so I can water the seeds without worry. Has a thermostat, uses very little electricity, can heat the area from about 8o-110 degrees.

scarecrow said:
Ok heres an update...

Anybody else trying the indoor thing this year?
So far its going good for me..

I am also trying to start from seeds for an indoor winter project. I planted three varieties 1 November 2007 in my germinator. Germinator has thermostat (kept at constant 86 F), a small oscoillating fan (on continuously), two 4 ft regular fluorescent bulbs (will change to grow bulbs when the seeds come up), and 2 100 watt incandescent bulbs for heat. I am keeping them moist with a hand mister (after I had watered them in during sowing).

Seeds planted - Largo Purple, Marbles, and Little Elf. (all annuum's).

If the temp is good enough for germination, then it's good enough for peppers to grow, right? :rolleyes:
The little sprouts are so cute. :lol:

wordwiz said:
I wonder - wouldn't a waterbed heater work as well? I have one laying around. It's waterproof, so I can water the seeds without worry. Has a thermostat, uses very little electricity, can heat the area from about 8o-110 degrees.

I've read posts on Usenet that described how to turn a waterbed heater into a seed warmer. I used to have a copy of the directions, but that was two computers ago.

You might do a search on google groups for it, though.

Omri said:
If the temp is good enough for germination, then it's good enough for peppers to grow, right? :rolleyes:
The little sprouts are so cute. :lol:

Omri:

I would agree with your statement about temperature, however, remember, I am not an expert.

My seeds have been in the germinator at a constant 86 for 5 1/2 days and no sprouts :(. I am very anxious for the first seed to sprout. Since I waited until the age of 50 to get married, these will be my first kids :lol:.

Back