• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

NAGA MORICH!!!

Why do I have ripe Naga Morich at the end of November??? WTF?
1259688929.jpg

Tell me about it. I am about to pick about 15 more today with about 20 more on the plant. All my other plants were finished about 5 weeks ago even though we got our first frost over the weekend. Looks like this plant will be in the garage this winter to see how long it can produce.

Happy gardening to you!!
jacob

My plant didn't start to fruit until maybe 5 weeks ago! I thought it was history. Then BLAM! Ripe pods?!?!? This plant is a saver for sure.

Rejoice scarpetti Rejoice.
At least you are getting nice looking pods in December in Ca.

NJA

(Once upon a time, your neighbour...I was staying in San Leandro)

dunno about ca, but i'm about to harvest my scotch bonnets, jals & cayennes here in the UK, global warming might have some advantages!

Nice to get some late ones mate.

cherrybomb said:
dunno about ca, but i'm about to harvest my scotch bonnets, jals & cayennes here in the UK, global warming might have some advantages!

December pods in Scotland? Well done. What are you getting, 8 hours of sunlight a day???

Maybe because the superhots seem to take forever to produce ripe peppers, like 150 days...that's why those of us in colder parts of the country start them so early.

Looking at them again, they are a cross. Look at the far pod. I've never seens nags with big, hab folds in them. Lets see what some of the experts think?

chillilover said:
Looking at them again, they are a cross. Look at the far pod. I've never seens nags with big, hab folds in them. Lets see what some of the experts think?

I was thinking the same thing. They may be a cross. This was a plant from Cross Country Nursery. So who knows? Maybe it crossed with my Red Savina. They were sitting right next to each other all summer. But it was still ballistically HOT!

Lucky you. I haven't had enough fresh home grown pods do anything with. I did just get to try a bishops crown the other day though. Like you I have a plant that producing late pods for some reason. Just wish that it was producing more. Oh well, gotta wait until next year

scarpetti said:
I was thinking the same thing. They may be a cross. This was a plant from Cross Country Nursery. So who knows? Maybe it crossed with my Red Savina. They were sitting right next to each other all summer. But it was still ballistically HOT!

Pepper pods won't cross by being beside each other, only the seeds for the next generation. Maybe you didn't get the real deal but from my experience nagas can have many different shapes, even on the same plant. Environmental factors likely are a key factor in pod shape with this variety.

scarpetti said:

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think your plants cannot cross the year they are planted, it would show up in the next generation. So if these are crosses they would have crossed last year and you got the seeds from nursery of crossed plants. Potawie would be the one to ask.

Edit: Damn you are good Potawie. Beat me to it, and all the while I was giving you credit.

Blister said:
Lucky you. I haven't had enough fresh home grown pods do anything with. I did just get to try a bishops crown the other day though. Like you I have a plant that producing late pods for some reason. Just wish that it was producing more. Oh well, gotta wait until next year

I have Manzanos everywhere right now!!! I now call them my Xmas peppers cuz they all seem to ripen at this time of the year. Then I stuff them and bring them to Xmas parties and watch everyone freak out cuz they're HOT! HAHA!!!

scarpetti said:

I was thinking they look like a savina naga cross but you said it was this summer they were side by side?

Yes, this summer. Crap, I need to do some thinking now! This is gonna be a rough one with the beer and wine and beer and wine and seeds and beer and SEEDS.............

scarpetti said:
Yes, this summer. Crap, I need to do some thinking now! This is gonna be a rough one with the beer and wine and beer and wine and seeds and beer and SEEDS.............

Ya if is is a cross it was from where you got them. Anyway to see some of the other peppers on the plant.

Back