• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

NAGA VIPER

Hey guys have any of you given this a consideration to grow next chilli season ? I had a look at getting some seeds to give it a go but the are like gold dust at the moment . Has anyone tried tasting one yet or got seeds ?

I have extreme doubts that this strain is a renamed plant. That said, I very much doubt that the plants would consistently produce pods over 1.1M SHU let alone 1.3M. I think it's just an unstable hybrid that had one or two lucky ultra-hot pods tested. They document that the genetics are a cross of the Trinidad Scorpion (not Butch T), the 7 pot, and the Naga Morich I believe. The problem with this is that all three of these strains were relatively unknown (especially in the UK) six or so years ago when the Bhut Jolokia first took the crown. That is simply not enough time to develop a strain that is unique and stable, especially if you are crossing a third strain in there! The Infinity pepper is likely just a TSMB and the Naga Viper is an unstable cross made by people who aren't top-notch breeders. T3s and T4s have at least marginally reliable stability, but I feel you need far more to stamp it with a SHU rating. Eight or more generations for a new strain, and more than that if you are crossing it again, as they report they did. Every pod picture I've seen looks different anyway. I'd say go buy some seeds from the Trinidad peppers and you'll be much happier.

Back