Name me a pepper...

The shu of a pepper decreases quickly after ripening and smoking the peppers doesn't make them hotter, it just preserves them while adding flavor. Jalapenos are traditionally the most popular type of chipotle because they are thick walled and do not dry well on their own. They are usually smoked in their ripe red stage so maybe they are a bit hotter than under ripe jals

Ballzworth said:
capsaicin increases as a pepper matures. is that wrong? I've never heard differently and I've never seen a chiptole rated less than a Jalapeno, or even the same.

I don't know, everyone seems to know the right answer and every answer you hear is different....it's kind of like trusting a hot sauce scoville scale...so who knows??

Yes, it does increase as a pepper matures, BUT you were speaking of chipotle and this is made by smoking harvested pods, usually red penos. Once a pod is harvested the heat will slowly begin to decrease as the capsaicin breaks down and heat also kills capsaicin, so the act of smoking the chili would diminish the heat.

I may be wrong in how I'm interpreting your post, but you seem to be thinking of a chipotle as a variety you can plant. Chipotle is a man made product created from harvested pods.

At any rate it tastes great and I'm not raggin on ya, just trying to get facts straight. :cheers:

no problem silver. if there's any way to unveil the facts and learn something, it's through discussions like these, which I enjoy.

Silver_Surfer said:
you seem to be thinking of a chipotle as a variety you can plant.

I do know that you don't plant chipotle. I think Potawie probably described it best when saying that a very ripe red Jalapeno is used which will be hotter than non-ripe picked Jalapenos. That may be where chipotle gets it's hotter ratings.

:confused:

Chipotle is also made from many different chiles. Chipotle is only a method of smoke-drying.

Xalapas get here as chipotle because gringos like them and there are lots of them produced.

willard3 said:
Chipotle is also made from many different chiles. Chipotle is only a method of smoke-drying.

Xalapas get here as chipotle because gringos like them and there are lots of them produced.

Man I love the word gringo. Another one I used to get called is bolillo, which is just a funny image to me referring to whitey as a bread roll lol.

CayenneLover said:
For next season I am looking for something different.

I am looking for something a bit hotter than a Jalapeño but still has a flavorful taste.

I love peppers in general, but prefer the heat between a Jalapeño & Cayenne. I had thought of the Hungarian Death.. but have since found out it is hotter than the Cayenne (not saying I won't try it ;))

CayenneLover

Here's one I'm trying next season that sounds like it would meet your specs.

Costeno Amarillo; C. annuum; Mexico
A lovely pod of Oaxaca...ripens from green to orange-yellow, star-like blooms. Tapered pod appox 3" L X .5" W with a flavor of smoky citrus and medium heat. Dries well, with a bit of transparency. Branching plant is slightly pubescent.

hmm.. well it looks like for now i am going to be trying out Serrano next season. (as well as Fresno if I can find it - I don't have a credit card so it makes buying online difficult)

I don't want to go over my head with to many plants, due to i am new to growing. But thank you all.

My mind may change on next season's selections, who knows :lol:

RJC said:
chile negro, i.e., Holy Mole Hybrid is one of the plants I grew this year.

To clear this up, Holy Mole is an hybrid of chile negro.

I saw holy mole in the store the other day and took the produce manager to task for not calling it chilaca/chile negro....I don't think he's going to change........

Another purveyor renaming.

Back