• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests name that bug

Hi All,

I had a really bad whitefly problem a few weeks back, but with the help of the great & knowledgeable people of THP it has been resolved. Now, I have these ugly beasts running around.

6233843447_3e7f8ace8b_b.jpg

What are they? If harmful to my plants, what can I do to combat them? Thanks

Regards,
Edward

Looks a bit like a shield bug or stink bug. If it is they are sap sucking insects but cause minimal damage unless they are in large numbers, better than whitefly anyway! :cool:

Hummm, I think I'd name that one "Burt the Bug" :crazy:

I have to agree with Adam that it looks like a stink bug but I don't really have a lot of expierence with them. Seems like some Seven would take care of them though if you've been infested with them.

Good luck,
RM

Hummm, I think I'd name that one "Burt the Bug" :crazy:

I have to agree with Adam that it looks like a stink bug but I don't really have a lot of expierence with them. Seems like some Seven would take care of them though if you've been infested with them.

Good luck,
RM

Burt sounds good.... I'll go with Burt. :)

I found about 5 of them this morning. The seem to just hang around the stem of the plant. It's like they're waiting for something. I had to move the one in the picture, so that I could get the shot.

You could annoy it and see if it emits a smell, then at least you'll know whether its a stink bug or not! :drunk:

It's not a stink bug, I don't see a proboscis so I doubt that it is a sucking bug. My guess is some type of white fly predator, it does resemble a small wasp.
Do you see any new damage to the plant? If not I'd just put them outside.

JCD

haven't seen one of those before... Ya know how many bugs we got here, good thing being vigilant, but I find most are not harmful. Some are, so keep your eye out... I knever knew what a lady bug larvae or eggs looked like til I came here!!!

These things might be what's keeping the whiteflies away. All the plants seem healthy for now. I'll leave them alone for awhile and see what happens.

Back