• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Name this pepper

I bought some peppers at a local supermarket in Virginia, they look like some kind of Scotch Bonnet type, good flavor, highly variable in shape, some are small and round, some are long, some are crinkly, and one is scorpion shaped (second from the left, second row) the longest one in this picture is about 2 1/2 inches (6.35 cm). I suspect these are very similar to the peppers discussed here in the past: http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/18366-need-id-please/

The thing that confuses me is that the label on the box indicates they're from the Dominican Republic... does anyone know how to tell apart the Caribbean Antillais from the Red Dominica?

Here's the pic:
P1150545.jpg

I bought a load like this from a small indian and continental store, they were unlabeled loose in a box so I asked the guy behind the counter what they were...low and behold he spent the next 15 minutes or so explaining to me that they were a type of pepper, which wasn't really the answer I was looking for.
So after harassing the poor bloke in the shop, I left not knowing :/ they were really tasty, and had a fair heat to them so I dried around 10 peppers and crushed them up :)
They were all very much an assortment, similar to yours. Would be interesting to know what sort of conclusion people draw to the identity of these.

Looks like what is being called Scotch bonnets at my local walmart, which are also said to be from the Dominican Rupublic.
Not sure what they really are except for them being C. chinenses. Possibly a more productive hybrid(f1) type C. chinense

I'll try growing from seed saved from the largest (top left in the pic) and see how uniform fruit production is, probably don't have enough time for a chinense from seed here in Virginia... if any of you in the warmer climates want to give it a go, let me know...

I'll try growing from seed saved from the largest (top left in the pic) and see how uniform fruit production is, probably don't have enough time for a chinense from seed here in Virginia... if any of you in the warmer climates want to give it a go, let me know...

you should save some seeds from the wrinkly one just below the largest....its an interesting shape and just incase they're pods from different plants

you should save some seeds from the wrinkly one just below the largest....its an interesting shape and just incase they're pods from different plants

I did save seed from that one actually, labelled it Crinkly Antillais, have about 80+ seeds off that... let me know if you want me to send you some.

I bet they came from more than one field and they mixed em at the market/distributor in Hispaniola not to mention cross pollination maybe?

They are germinating as I type. I'll grow them until their pod shape becomes apparent, then I'll decide whether to keep them or not...

Finally uncovered the identity of these peppers: 'West Indian Red'
Apparently the #2 or #1 commercial pepper grown in Jamaica and other islands in the Caribbean.
Seedlings from the 2nd row of the 1st column (wrinkly) are developing nicely on my patio.

never heard of West Indian Red but some look an awful lot like Red Caribbean Habaneros. How hot are they?

never heard of West Indian Red but some look an awful lot like Red Caribbean Habaneros. How hot are they?

So apparently they're not super hot, I read online that "The scotch bonnet pepper typically has a scoville heat unit of between 363,000 to 456,000, while the West Indian red pepper has between 200,000 to 250,000." But supposedly, the yields are significantly higher and the plant as superior disease resistance. Maybe my motley crew assortment is a result of cross pollination and perhaps a crop grown with saved seeds instead of "certified" seeds.

Back