• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Name those pods

Gots me a couple unknowns...anyone have a clue?

101_0311.jpg

101_0314.jpg

nope..not a jalapeno unless its one i have never seen..hard to tell from the pic but its got a very odd shape to it.

the other is not a lemon drop..its really thick..like a bhut..but its not a bhut..green..and starting to turn a blackish color

comparing the first pic to my hot lemons and they look very similar, start out green, then develop a brownish/black colour and hard like a bullet. they have the same bumpy appearance. now i am not saying they are hot lemons but perhaps from the same family of baccatums(aji type).

first glance at pic 2, i thought they may be a drawf type jalapeno or serrano but at this stage they could any number of types, let's wait and see.

Your hot lemons turn black? I don't remember mine doing that last year, as far as I can remember they just went from green to yellow. :surprised:

thechileman.org says "This terrifically hot, citrus-flavored pepper is a popular seasoning pepper in Peru where it is known as 'Kellu Uchu'. It is also known in the western world as 'Hot lemon' or 'Lemon Drop'. The bright yellow, crinkled, cone-shaped fruits are about 2-1/2" long and 1/2" wide and mature from green to yellow"

The shape of that pod is spot on for hot lemon/lemon drop though.

Your hot lemons turn black?
brownish/black depending on the pod, before turning yellow - last year i thought the pods were rotting on the plant, as i too didn't expect this brownish colour in the pod. (i ate one about a week ago - had that explosive lemony/citrus flavour and then the burn). original plants are from burpee.

here are 2 pics, just taken. the first is the pod in the process of changing colour(my camera is is only 3.2mp so it is the best quality i could get), the pod is actually darker but the plant is outside and it is bright and sunny today, the brownish colour starts at the stem then gradually streaks down the rest of the pod over a period of time. the second pic is just a mature pod still in its youthful green form.

HPIM1958.jpg

HPIM1959.jpg

Both plants appear to be annuums. Cajamarca is chinense. Lemon drops are baccatuums. The first one looks like an annuum from Oxaxca region of mexico. Just a guess though.

the first one looks like "CHILACA" Iwas going to say pimeta do nayde but the leaves arent purplish like my nayde's are or it could be "HOLY MOLE" there are quite a few pods that look kike this one

hope this helps thanks your friend joe

The hole mole pods I grew didn't have that small bottleneck shape at the top of the pod. They were a lot longer and more uniform in shape. The were shaped like a fatter, smoother cayenne.

Back