misc Naming a product

Hi,

I am new to the Website and think it is great.
I am working on naming a dry chile pepper product and could really use some feedback.

Do products that communicate a sense of danger or fear perform better? Do pepper-heads prefer products with these names?
Can you go too far to suggest "killer chile peppers"?
Should I be sensitive to spanish speaking consumers with a name like "mata"?
Thanks in advance.
Lysette

Anything goes with fiery products. Death, the Devil, bodily functions... nothing is taboo.

You can usually spot a gimmick though (novelty sauce), so try to keep it unique and related to the product.

i say the more evil the name the better. I think there's always been a trend to have cool names for hot products although originality is important as well. a lot of them definitely push the limits but what would you rather buy, something called "Acid Rain" or "Satan's Blood"??? or something called "Melinda's Hot Sauce" or "Mango Heat"?

Killer Chili Peppers is definitely not pushing any limits if you're familiar with the stuff out there. (CaJohn's actually has a series of "Killer" named hot sauces on the market: Killer Cayenne, Killer Jalapeno, Killer Chipotle)

The funny names to sauces attract me to them as long as they are good. I shy away from the extracts with the terms kill or death Often they are over the top or don't measure up. My own sauces I just label as TB's Notorious.

Salute', TB.

Believe it or not the name doesn't matter to us. Taste and heat. No matter what it's called, if it's good, the word will get around on the blogs and forums. For marketing purposes though, it should be creative and appealing. Do you want suggestions? Describe the product in detail and tell us a little about you.

thehotpepper.com said:
Believe it or not the name doesn't matter to us. Taste and heat. No matter what it's called, if it's good, the word will get around on the blogs and forums. For marketing purposes though, it should be creative and appealing. Do you want suggestions? Describe the product in detail and tell us a little about you.

Last year's batch was called "Liquid Hail" I'm a big Redskins fan (yes...I know...they suck!)and it's a tie-in with their fight song as well as being a play on words. It was basically habaneros, apricot preserves, white vinegar, garlic, and a bit of kosher salt....oh yes, and a few drops of the 10MIL SHU sludge I keep in a dark scary place in my cabinet ;) :

100_0279.jpg

This year's batch is going to be called "Biohazard" and will have several different pods in it....from Bhut Jolokia on down to the "mystery peppers" I grew in my garden this season. I'm going to use 5oz. amber bottles again with biohazard labels and glow in the dark wax to seal.

It ought to look really cool!!

Personally I shy away from product with "evil" names unless I know them from before. My experience is that the most gimmicky names hides the worst products.

But that would probably attract people who want to impress their friend.

If you want't to attract pepperheads you should find a name that describe the product - like Hippy Seed's "NagaSav BBQ Sauce": You know what you get and what's in it. (But it is still ten times better than what you expected!)

MrArboc said:
Personally I shy away from product with "evil" names unless I know them from before. My experience is that the most gimmicky names hides the worst products.

But that would probably attract people who want to impress their friend.

If you want't to attract pepperheads you should find a name that describe the product - like Hippy Seed's "NagaSav BBQ Sauce": You know what you get and what's in it. (But it is still ten times better than what you expected!)

True.

Back