• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Naming Conventions

So I grew a pepper whose name is copyrighted, and tied to a certain geographic location. Grown outside that location, its not allowed to be called "chimayo".

My question is, since it was grown from chim seeds, and since it grew in FL, not the mid west, what the heck am I supposed to call it?

Leaning toward Chimesquo (chim Esk o)... But if there is a better convention, or some established way to talk about copyrighted landrace peppers, then I'll defer to that...

Dont change the name at all. Just leave it as Chimayo. All you are going to do is confuse people later on.

The only reason I asked was because I want to sell some of the pods in the mixed box, and don't want to get in trouble...

Chilis are getting as bad as wine! :rolleyes:

Just so long as long as they don't get as bad as Apple... :)

Or Cheese...
Chimesquo Bahia Tampa del Norte

Love that lol

They own the name, not the pods. You grew out the seeds and therefore own the pods that came from them and not whoever registered the name. If you want to protect yourself just throw the registered trademark symbol when you post it.

I ran into this problem this year. I have a friend who lives on St. Helena in the south Atlantic ocean. She sent me some seeds in her Christmas card for her pepper (which ripens to yellow supposedly) and has grown in her family for ages. Turns out it looks nothing like the St. Helena Yellow that is out there. Now I will have to call it by a different name.... all in all a headache! :)

Back