• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

nasty wings

darthcarl said:
most borders that are not also oceans are artificial. Northern Italian cooking is influenced by french and german just like southern italian cooking is influenced by mediteranian and north african cuisine. In north america there are large pockets of regionalization based upon the earlist european settlers cooking techniques being used with local ingredients. It's these ingredients that truely define American food. Corn, Chilis, concord grapes, trout, whitetail, squash, crawfish...the list can go on. A few that America it self can lay claim to

ice cream cone
fortune cookies
nachos

I never would have guessed fortune cookies either.

Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with that article, but I had to throw something out there.
"darthcarl" said:
In north america there are large pockets of regionalization based upon the earlist european settlers cooking techniques being used with local ingredients
This really sums it up. We could really break it down and argue about any food's origin, and I don't know if we'd be able to accurately pinpoint the source. All recipes are an adaptation of anothers, just as all foodstuffs are an adaptation of an idea, such as the tater chips.

This, however,
"Boanergez" said:
Gringo food sucks. All of it.
is just ignorant.

[gump]That's all I got to say about that[/gump]

Buffalo wings, pit BBQ, philly cheese steaks, Cheeze Whiz, Mad Dog 20/20, fast food joints, spoon bread, funnel cakes, Defcon Sauces, Velveeta, carbonated soft drinks, "chinese food" (you really think they eat that stuff in China?), Red Bull, Manhatten/New England clam chowder, corndogs, callard greens, American cheese, scrapple, beer can chicken, southern fried chicken, country fried steak, fried ice cream, peanut butter...Give it time, I'll think of more...

There's soooo many American foods, the reason we get knocked for not having a cuisine is, it's all different styles and cuisines within itself, so you can't have an American restaurant really.

Fried opossum, pigs feet sandwiches, poke salad, black eyed peas, corn bread, fried cow tongue, frog legs, chitlins, baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and chevrolet...course it's kinda hard to eat a chevy but it sounded cool. On second thought, you can eat a chevy if you drive a DODGE!!

[quote name='Cap'n Bones'] On second thought, you can eat a chevy if you drive a DODGE!![/QUOTE]

"If it ain't a Cat, it's a dog"....sorry, i had to add that one:lol:

American food only sucks if you eat at crappy places. Hell, go to New Orleans and just try to find bad food in that town. Ain't gonna happen.

The "McDonald-ization" of american food, I think, is the problem that our American food hating friend is most bothered by. We are told over and over again how "GREAT" a big mac is. It's NOT! It's passable road food on your way to vacation when you don't want to be out of your car for too long. Problem is that if told enough times, the average American starts to beleive that it must be true. But would any of us, grilling in our back yard for friends, put a big mac on their plate and wait patiently for a round of "great job"? Of course not. That would be an embarrassment. Would any of us put a Taco Bell taco in the hands for our hispanic friend and puff out our chests with pride. Never!

I am quite sure that if flavorful "American" fare (whether original American or not) is what you are looking for, then you need to stop eating in mass media food holes and hit the Mom and Pops. Look for old folks and locals, then follow them or ask their opinions. Folks love to tell about their favorite hidden spot (especially if you are not gonna stay around long and crowd up the joint over time.)

We have a neat local joint called Lupi's here in Charlotte NC and it is constantly being voted "Best kept restaurant secret" except that it really isn't a secret anymore. But the food is darned yummy and the pass throughs and tourist rarely are found there.

Last thought. While traelling through Europe, my wife and I stumbled upon a beer I really liked called "Castlemaine XXXX". After arriving home and living for a while, it appeared on the shelves of the local Harris Teeter. Was I ever happy. Then Coors (who was brewing it under licence from Australia) "americanized" the recipe. Yuck. Thin, loss of flavor and gone in a month. Mass consumables companies could give a crap about flavor, they just want to market to the lowest common taste bud and make their dough (though not good tasting dough) and be done with it.

Find the locals and find good food.

Chuck,
i think you can find crappy and good foods almost everywere, you just have to scrap the bad ones from the list..:mouthonfire:.
Almost all foods here in the USA have been "Americanized" from the original ones..some are better some are worst....

Back