• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Native Observations 2015

It's been awhile since I posted.  I have a new phone camera now and it will tide me over until I can get something better.  I don't think I can do any magnified close ups though.

This should be the last of the "drive home" pics for awhile.  Just half a block from my work is a nice stand of Basket flower Centaurea americana.

Basket-flower up close

Also a patch of Horsemint, Monarda Citradora  What I have at home has a more ovate leaf than this.

Here is the progress on one of my Eryngo, Eryngium leavenworthi

Frostweed Verbesina virginica is coming along well.

Late arrivals Rattlesnake Master Eryngium yuccafolium  and following that is some Western Spiderwort sprouts Tradescantia ?

On my way out to the preserve to collect Bluebonnet seeds if there ready.
Later, have a good day!

A few pics of the preserve where I volunteer to collect wildflower seeds;  Picked a 5 gal bucket full of Bluebonnet seed pods that is drying out at home now.  Will try do get another bucket this weekend if rain permits.
Red Yucca and Mexican Hat

White Prickly Poppy Argemone albiflora

Purple Leather Flower Clematis pitcheri

Not sure what this plant is?  Bull Nettle  Cnidoscolus stimulosus
http://www.foragingtexas.com/2008/07/bull-nettle.html

Later folks!

Lovely meadow.  I have a pretty good stand of Monarda fistulosa here.

Can't help you with that last one.  It has a rather incongruous appearance.  Do the flowers have a particularly sweet fragrance?

Sawyer said:
Lovely meadow.  I have a pretty good stand of Monarda fistulosa here.

Can't help you with that last one.  It has a rather incongruous appearance.  Do the flowers have a particularly sweet fragrance?
I'll have to give it a smell next visit John.  I'll be there again Sat. if no rain.  Had quite a bit lately.

I wanted to bring up the CDC "death cause" map that was released recently.  Link;
http://2d0yaz2jiom3c6vy7e7e5svk.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Distinctive-causes-of-death.jpg

Seems a little alarming that something once considered under control, is now  apparently a concern here in Texas.  When I was younger I collected patent medicine "cure" bottles that were embossed.  A relitively common one was "Piso's Cure for Consumption" in a nice emerald green bottle.

Here's a pic of a few of those together for glass color variation.  These are mouth blown into a mold and have a hand finished or tooled lip.  This mfg technique was popular from 1890 to 1910.  The typical color was emrald green, but inconsistancies in the minerals mixed with the silica sand created the variations.

Here's a link about the concoction;
http://www.fohbc.org/PDF_Files/PisoTrior_JSullivan.pdf

Somewhere in my backyard I have a brick that was marked "Don't Spit on Sidewalk".  I think it's covered up by erosion.  These were made because of TB or "Consumption".  Link;
https://www.kshs.org/kansapedia/cool-things-don-t-spit-on-sidewalk-brick/10109

I will add some pepper pics to this in a bit.

Finally getting a couple pepper pics posted here.  While they will always be an important part of my garden, they are not my primary focus this season.  There is a list on the first page here of my peppers.

My four oldest pot ups, from the back, Yellow Barrackpore, Bhut Orange Copenhagen, an unkown mystery plant, and a Mustard EOB.

F2 Tepin X Quintisho C. chinense

Tiger finds comfort in the chaos.

My cactus slice transplant blooming.

From my volunteer Bluebonnet seed harvesting;  Interesting seed color variety

Lots of rain and flooding here in Texas.  Were good

Have a great Memorial Day folks!

It's been awhile since I posted an update.  After all the rain things are drying out very much now.  I don't even have my automatic drip going yet so I need to do some work there.

I've been very busy trying to finish the requisite volunteer hours for my master naturalist certification.  Did that in May I believe and should get the Dragonfly pin that comes with it later this month.  Oddly, the yearly annual renewal is a Bluebonnet pin, which I have turned in a pound of seeds so far that I have collected and harvested.  I think I still have maybe two pounds worth to harvest in my garage!

Speaking of Dragonflies, I've always imagined some kind of educational outreach for Odonata in a public nature preserve.  Just last month the Williamson co. parks director spoke at a monthly meeting.  Afterwards I sent him an email about my thoughts and he responded. Now I am having a meeting with his staff next week.  Kind of exciting!

Some updated pics;
Some kind of moist loving sunflower.

more Bluebonnet seeds

from overwintered Yellow Tobago Scotch Bonnet

Bhut Orange Copenhagen pods

An unknown plant no label possible EOB

Another unknown to me flower.  2.5 feet tall plant skinny green stems. Edit; Lygodesmia texana Texas Skeletonplant

Nothing finer than a cold one after work.  Heres a whiskey flask from the late 1800's with a "nearly quitting time" clock face embossed on it. 10 minutes till 5.

Have a great day!

Since my last update we've had some more rain, but also lots of sun.  Plants are growing well!

My meeting regarding the Odonata public outreach in park systems has gone well and being taken to master naturalist board personel for project approval / disapproval.

Still harvesting Bluebonnet seeds, but also collected Standing Cypress and Horsemint seed heads last weekend.  I have returned approx 18,000 Bluebonnet seeds to the preserve so far.  About a pound and a half.

Golden Dalia

Newly born praying mantis on volunteer pumkin.  2 pics  Not sure if it will change to green or stay.  Was not there the next day.

Bubblegum 7 pods overwinter plant

Male Widow Skimmer Libellula luctuosa . small black marks on abdomen indicate recent mating. 

Female Widow Skimmer trapped in Yellow Garden Spider web. Argiope aurantia

Later good people!

Alynne said:
Such beautiful pics! Keep it up, I love following.
Thank you very much Alynne!

Well today is July 4.  It is anniversary #28 today!
My kitchen project is finally nearing the end.  Waiting on some backsplash tile to arrive.  Very much looking forward to being done!  Some pics from a week back.

First ripe pod of the season, Yellow Tobago Scotch bonnet

The beginnings of my son's Reishi mushrooms.

Checked on these Creek plums a week ago.  Will be ripe enough soon.  Jam time!  Very excited! Prunus rivularis  The Mustang grapes still have time before ready.  Looks like Tepins are ready to go.  Used liquid stevia in the past to replace half the sugar. Along with applesauce.  Gave it a subtle off color and taste.  Going to try Cactus pear instead of the applesauce if it's still available.

Procambrius clarki  The red bug of mud.  Just can't resist re-living old childhood memories!

I have completed my Blubonnet harvest for the preserve.  Approx. 34,150 seeds/ just over 3 lbs.  Now I am doing Poppy and Standing Cypress.
Corn poppy Papaver rhoeas

Have a great holiday!

Mike

Hello again THP.  Another week gone by.  The finishline of my kitchen remodel continues to elude me!  My sink is nearly complete, just hooking up the dishwasher left.  Have the backsplash tile now so that job lies ahead.

Obediant plant blooming

Yellow Prairie Flax

This poor sad Tepin has been transplanted at least 3x over a 6 year period.  Still, it is enough to "Kick out the jams".  I am waiting on the Mustang grapes to ripen which should be a couple weeks as many are turning now.  I have picked the Creek plums already.

Creek plums ready for jam

Eastern Pondhawk Erythemis simpliciollis

Another Green Lynx spider Peucetia viridans

A nice pair of Tobago Yellow scotch bonnets

My outdoor garden friend

Have a great week!
Mike

Back