trade Native Texas Chili Pequin Seeds - Trade #1

EDIT: 11/20/11 - More photos and discussion of this pepper here:
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/26362-texas-pequinpiquin-type-native-pod-photos-and-questions/

----------------------------------------------
Hi all,

2011 will be my first attempt to grow peppers.

This is my first thread at attempting to offer seeds to share/trade. I am trying to build up a collection of items to grow, so I am hoping this thread will garner a little interest. I would like to do 10 trades to start with, of 10 seeds each. In the near future I may have more to offer, but not yet.

These are native Texas Chili Pequin seeds. My neighbor has been growing them for years, and shared some of these with me. The photo is of his bush. He cuts it back regularly, but in the photo it is about 4ft wide by 3.5 high. As we started to get cooler weather in TX, this bush has popped with literally hundreds of new peppers, and is still putting out flowers. The close up of the bush shows how prolific this is. I made some salsa with peppers over the weekend, and it had a nice heat and chili flavor. Fresh and bright is how I would describe the taste.

Please post if you would like a trade. I am hoping to offer some for free in the near future, but at the moment as I posted above, I am trying to build a little collection. As also mentioned, this is my first trade, so please be accepting of my learning curve.

Lastly, I need to keep this to US offers only.

Thank you.

Brian

PS... if you do not need or want these, but are willing to share some seed varieties with me for a SASE, please let me know via a PM.

Thank you again.

------------------------------
This was some of the plumper ones. Some grow this size, some smaller.
genechilitepincloseupx800.jpg

I think I will grow this as a low hedge next year.
Geneschilitepinplantnov72011x800.jpg

You can see how prolific this bush is. Hundreds of new green peppers.
Geneschilitepinplant-closeup-nov72011.jpg

Hello.

I wondered how low could the temperature drop in Austin during the winter. It seems that cold waves aren't so rare there. It should be a good indicator of local tepin hardiness :)

Northernmost wild pepper populations could be a good source for perennial pepper crop in temperate climates.

Hello.

I wondered how low could the temperature drop in Austin during the winter. It seems that cold waves aren't so rare there. It should be a good indicator of local tepin hardiness :)

Northernmost wild pepper populations could be a good source for perennial pepper crop in temperate climates.

The wild tepins are the only variety that will "overwinter" outside here in Fort Worth from my experience

~100,000

samyaza

During December and January we can get stretches at times in high 20's F.
Last year we even had a 5 day stretch in the teens.

I have been told that the fruit from this plant is meatier than what folks have tried from similar plants. This was my first wild taste, and I do enjoy them.

Alabamajack, Ronnie, what is the difference between the round wild pequins and the more elongated pequins? Both are wild and native to South Texas.

Just diffetent varieties?

yup...different varieties based on mans selection of more elongated pods...at least that is what I have read...

Smiter Q...how big are the tepins you are talking about...and meatier...that sounds cool...

oops, just realized this was the marketplace....sorry for my comments...I will stop...I apologize...

Hum... Texas must be cold in winter for its latitude, but I fear even tepin won't be hard enough for my climate.

For about 20 years, I had never seen temperature falling below 14°F. The 3 past years were exceptionally cold, it dropped to 0°F for several nights in end-December, with a minimum of -4°F. I don't think it will happen again this year, as fall has been very mild since the beginning. It was 68°F today !

Another pepper to test in cold climates is Capsicum flexuosum but I've never managed to get seeds !

Is there tepin growing in high altitude in West Texas or New Mexico ?

Have you ever tried to cross tepin with cultivated pepper such as C. annuum or C. chinense ? You must get interesting results !

Back