• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Natural fertiliser

you bet I use Most to grow Peppers and I ferment , bananas, papaya, sea weed ,fish,alfalfa any thing with lots of nutes, egg shells on the ground dose nothing. you need to fry them up real black and soak in vinegar to make them water soluble so they will used by the plants, if you need any help to make your own nutes please ask its alot cheaper and better.

I wouldn't use any of that crap on my peppers. If you want a good "natural" fertilizer start a worm farm and brew worm tea.

I put egg shells, coffee grounds, pee on it when i head out back, I also take the alage and hydrilla I rake outta the lake, a 5 gallon bucket full will be consumed by worms in < a week.

If you happen to brew beer, you can use your brewing wastes (i.e. grain and hops) in your soil. I throw mine in my compost pile or now in the fall, right into the garden for it to break down over the winter.

I wouldn't tinkle on the plants but you can do it around the plants and that will keep the little four legged critters from munching on young plants. Cheaper than ammo.

Well, I do brush my dog right next to the chillies, which results in 30 dogs worth of hair covering the plants, didn't think it was good/bad.

I wouldn't use vacuum cleaner waste, just asking for mould IMO ( I do live in Brisbane however, the home of mould).

Everything else other than the Tums go into my bokashi and I get good results. Seriously, Tums? Be way cheaper just to buy some damn calcium carbonate.

While reading about fertilizer i stumbled upon a paragraph that said human urine dilluted with water is actually a good fertilizer.. Is this a myth?

While reading about fertilizer i stumbled upon a paragraph that said human urine dilluted with water is actually a good fertilizer.. Is this a myth?

It does contain urea, which is a good source of nitrogen. There may be other considerations, though. I've "fertilized" around (not on) some of my plants before and haven't noticed any ill effects. Can't say as I noticed any positives, either.

It does contain urea, which is a good source of nitrogen. There may be other considerations, though. I've "fertilized" around (not on) some of my plants before and haven't noticed any ill effects. Can't say as I noticed any positives, either.

Urea takes time to break down. If you can deal with the smell, go for it. Just like if you can deal with the mess of making your own organic fertilizer, more power to ya. I use Botanicare Pure Blend Pro the company did the dirty work for you at a mass production cheaper then I could do myself. Making compost tea can be a mess, take a while, and to some can get expensive. Here is what is in it: Fish meal, composted sea bird guano, sea kelp, spirulina, soybean protein extract, rock phosphate, potassium carbonate, magnesium carbonate, calcium carbonate, humic acid*, fulvic acid*, citric acid*, raw sugar cane*, Agrimineral 72 (silica clay extract)*, amino acids*, B-complex vitamins*, and select botanical plant extracts*. Would cost me 3x as much to make myself. Something to think about.

"you need to fry them up real black and soak in vinegar to make them water soluble so they will used by the plants"

Sounds like more work then worth the time ;)

Back