• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Need a few ID's please

So It's my first year growing and everything is going pretty well, better than expected actually. I bought a bunch of seeds at the beginning of the year, planted them in jiffy pods and didnt bother to label anything. Well now I've got a few plants I can't confidently identify.

First 3 pics are same plant/peppers. My best guess is tabasco or a sort of thai? I'd really like to know this one because peppers are shooting up like crazy

Thai.jpg
Thai2.jpg
Thai3.jpg

Next I believe is maybe a cayenne...not sure, also producing well though
Cayenne2.jpg
Cayenne.jpg

And finally, I dont have a good guess for this one. I thought it looked strange right from the beginning because it branched out really close to the bottom and grew sort of like a bush. Just got a couple peppers starting on it yesterday, cant really get a good idea of whay they'll look like but they are kind of starting out like a serrano/jalapeno
Serrano.jpg

If anyone could help with species classifications also I'd appreciate it. I'm considering over-wintering a plant and trying to do the bonchi thing with it. but I need to know if it will live long enough. Thanks again

If those peppers on the first one flip and start growing downward I'd say they're Hungarian wax, otherwise I'd say your guess of Tabasco is probably right. The second looks like some type of cayenne. No clue on the third, but it's some type of c. annum. And is that some type of weed I see growing down at the bottom left? ;)

Good luck to ya. If you have a list of everything you originally planted we might be able to narrow it down from there.

As far as overwintering goes, you can do it with any of them, but Chinese types are easier to do.

The first one looks like a large tabasco pepper, and yeah hungarian wax if it flips around.

The second one is a cowhorn pepper. I know because I've got tons of those.

I can't really tell with the third one. Are the leaves a little different color, almost kind of blue'ish? The serranos I'm growing have slightly different color leaves and kind of have that structure.

^ What Rabid48 wrote except I don't think those are tabasco if they aren't hungarian waxed, the shape seems a little off to me. That the last one branches out sooner doesn't necessarily mean anything, I've had random plants do that while their siblings of the same generation didn't... I generally consider it a growth defect as it's harder for the plant to support that growth shape as it gets larger compared to having a taller stem trunk.

thanks all, I've got probably 100 of those potential tabasco's growing but none ripening quite yet so we'll see. Never heard of the cowhorn, but I did an image search and can't say I got real definitive results, how are they on taste?heat? I was weary about posting pics before I had ripe peppers too, but hopefully some will start turning soon. As for the last plant, I'll just have to be a little more patient I guess, and Rabid, yes, that WAS a weed. I pulled it shortly after that pic was taken along with about a thousand others...all in the 110 degree heat we had in Wisconsin last week, but it's gotta get done sometime right?

Back