• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Need a recommendation

I love Louisiana style hot sauces (and my favorite is Texas Pete) but there are times when I want something similar but hotter. I used to buy Shotgun Willie's double barrel hot sauce but can no longer find it.

Can anyone recommend a habanaro hot sauce similar to but hotter than the Louisiana style cayenne sauces?

Thanks.

dtb57 said:
I love Louisiana style hot sauces (and my favorite is Texas Pete) but there are times when I want something similar but hotter. I used to buy Shotgun Willie's double barrel hot sauce but can no longer find it.

Can anyone recommend a habanaro hot sauce similar to but hotter than the Louisiana style cayenne sauces?

Thanks.

You will get a plethora of recommendations here since habanero sauces are quite popular in this crowd. Our standard hab sauce varies depending on mood, but you can get some subtle taste differences depending on what sauce you get. Not sure these are so similar, but we'll give you 3 sauces to consider that we use quite frequently when wanting a hab sauce:

Red Savina Garlic Sauce by the Mild to Wild Pepper Co. - hint of garlic, but great hab taste

Busha Browne's Pukka Hot Pepper Sauce - technically NOT a hab sauce since it uses scotch bonnet peppers, but it still has a great taste with many foods

Kumawanakilya XXX Hot Sauce by Tahiti Joe - surprised we have any of this left, but it's a great standard hab sauce that we find uses (in moderation) for when wanting hab flavor

You could always go with Tabasco Habanero, but what fun is that?!!! :) There are oodles more, but these are just a few to think about. We'll let the rest of the collective chime in...

- J & L

I probably shouldn't have specified habanero. Any pepper is fine as long as I get a good blend of flavor and heat a notch above standard cayenne hot sauce.

Thanks again.

By saying you like Louisana style sauces you are saying you like alot vinegar? Ha I like them alot too and those got too mild quickly. If you want hot and flavor we all know the habs rule the day! I would go with the Red Savina Garlic from the Wild Pepper Co as well. He is a stand up guy there and a please to deal with. But you could spend all day looking for sauces in that style so you might just have to try some out

Of course Blair's Orginal Death is alittle hotter than Tabasco and has lots of taste. (though recently I've found a few batches too salty.)

Marie Sharp's Habanero Pepper Sauce is excellent.

and my last one would be Ring of Fire Habanero Hot Sauce.

Any of these will not 'blow your head off', but they will add some more heat than Tabasco.

if your looking for something thats just a little hotter i would recomand any of the yucateco sauces esp. the xxxtra hot, tabasco habanero and of course blairs origanal is great as metioned above.

I'll my voice to the thousands saying there are lots of hab sauces out there.

Given that you specifically asked for "Louisiana style", that to me also says "vinegar-based". That of course rules out our Peppermaster sauces. (Watch for our new grocery store line launching soon -- they are Louisiana style).

My favourite hab-based sauces...

Brand new: Cry Baby by Three Hot Tamales -- This one blows me away!

Longest running (staple): Dave's Hurtin' Habanero -- I love the cilantro flavour in this one.

Must have in any cupboard: Marie Sharpe's.

Fwiw ALL of these sauces, without exception are a lot hotter than anything I would consider a true "Louisiana-style" sauce. So I'd be gentle with all of these to start, if one is upgrading from those.

T

im about 20 miles from where they make texas pete...there is a hot sauce called louisian that has a good flavor and its along the same lines as texas pete..mabey a little more richer in flavor and a little thinker...also franks is along the same lines but to me a little hotter and thicker.

dtb57 said:
I probably shouldn't have specified habanero. Any pepper is fine as long as I get a good blend of flavor and heat a notch above standard cayenne hot sauce.

Thanks again.
Here's my 2cents :twisted:
The sauce your looking for is called "Rookie Orientation".
This sauce has great flavr with a heat level a few notches above what you're probably used to.

Ingredients: Cayenne pepper mash, onion, garlic, salt, citrus juice and other spices.

If you need to know where to find this sauce, just let me know, 'cause I have contacts! 😉 😉 😉

Cap'n

That's a Mild-To-Wild sauce. (wildpepper.com) Jim doesn't use much vinegar (or any!) in his sauces so you get more chile flavor and heat. Most "Louisiana" hot sauces list vinegar as their first ingredient and may be at least 50 percent vinegar/water. I haven't tried R.O. yet, just might have to put some on my next order....brookthecook

Tina Brooks said:
Must have in any cupboard: Marie Sharpe's.

T

So, you took my recomendation?

I"ll second Tina and thakswet here; Marie Sharp's are hard to beat. Once you try them it's really hard to go back to that old vinegar stuff.

As a follow on to that conversation, my Canadian counterpart, Denzel, sent me the newspaper article describing what had transpired between Marie and the Brothers... Marie wins on my shelf.

So, yes, I guess I took your recommendation, but the article clinched the decision for me; easily.

T

Back