• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

raised-bed Need advice on fillling 2 raised beds

Hi,

So the wife and I are building 2 raised beds that will be 7x3. I need advice on the most cost effective and easiest way to fill them..

We were at lowes today and were looking at the premier peat bales. They were like $10 for each. We figure we would need 4-5 of them. If we go this route what else can we add to make a better medium?

What other options are there?

I appreciate the advice.

for raised beds I like to use the cheap topsoil, composted manure and peat. The cheap 40lb bags of topsoil that you can get for a buck to 1.50 are usually pretty good for raised beds and the composted manure boosts growth, throw the peat in there for good air circulation and watering and you are good to go.

the mix mentioned by millworkman is definatley the way to go thats pretty much the same mix I use in my beds and my plants love it, the cheap top soil (atleast here in florida) contains alot of sand which pepper plants seem to really like plus its also better for drainage compared to the higher end topsoil which tends to be more dense and not drain well.

I've been using OilDri in potting/garden mixes for years and it's incredible. It's great for aeration, drainage, and moisture retention. Drop the peat and chunk in several bags and you'll have much better results

Hi,

Thanks for the good advice guys.

So I plan on buying a couple bales of peat and some bags of topsoil. Any ideas on what is a good ration?

Unfortunately, I don't have any real compost so I think I am out of luck there. Any other options for compost? I do have some pure leaf compost that is about a year old.

I was going to buy some bone meal to mix in with the soil. Good idea?

thanks again,
JJ

This mix would probably go good with your existing products. I would add the bone meal since and 1/4 part lime as well. If you need more just check out the sticky on the top of this section.

Mix #16:
1 part peat
1 part perlite
1 part compost (or leaf mold)
1 part bonemeal
1 part worm castings (optional)

LGHT said:
This mix would probably go good with your existing products. I would add the bone meal since and 1/4 part lime as well. If you need more just check out the sticky on the top of this section.

Mix #16:
1 part peat
1 part perlite
1 part compost (or leaf mold)
1 part bonemeal
1 part worm castings (optional)

Dang, that's a LOT of bonemeal!!!

Back