Need any and all advice on OVERHEAD MISTERS

I was planning on using a timer to have it on from maybe 11 to 2 in the afternoon. Supposedly it only uses a half a gallon of water per hour.

Per nozzle.

Just when they would normally be drooping. Then the sun and heat afterward would dry them off. Being in some shade I don't think they would burn.

Why would you want to add additional humidity in Florida?

Moisture on the flora during the hottest part of the day will potentially "steam" it.

People trying to manipulate nature.... A good dose of "leave it the hell alone" always works.

Scoville DeVille said:
Why would you want to add additional humidity in Florida?

Moisture on the flora during the hottest part of the day will potentially "steam" it.

People trying to manipulate nature.... A good dose of "leave it the hell alone" always works.
I live on a desert and if I left mine alone they would be charcoal brickettes... lol...

In a low humidity condition with filtered light I would think a misting system would be beneficial. Care would need to be taken to not allow the plants to go to sleep wet of course.

The only place plants need water is in the pot where there roots are. We have had temps of 95°-105° F with the humidity at 7-15% it dont get much drier than that. My Peppers, Tomatoes, Zuchini, Cucumber, Pole Beans, even Lettuce love it. I have never had lettuce 3 feet tall. I am carefull to NOT get water on the foliage, (I use a drip system) so this theory of "misting" is strange to me. I think you are trying to reinvent the wheel here.

Whenever plants are "wilting", that is an indication that they are transpiring (sweating) faster than the roots are keeping them hydrated.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with giving your plants a "foliar drink" when they show this stress.  Much like a cool drink or wipe-down for us, during extremely hot conditions, will cool AND help re-hydrate us.  Pepper plants can "drink" through their leaves.  Wilting is a perfect indication that a foliar mist/drink is a good idea. 

The primary goal with misting though, is to bring the surrounding temperature down.  In this case, the evaporating mist, AS IT IS EVAPORATING, is lowering the temperature in the shade-house.  Plus, the effect of the actual foliar drink (if any water droplets make it to the leaf surfaces) is also beneficial when wilting is taking place .

PepperDaddler, misting will absolutely help you.  The further away from 100% humidity the air is, the more cooling-effect you will get from misting.    

Misting does indeed work. I turn mine on for a few hours during the hottest part of the day when I'm home..... and always with a big outdoor fan on to keep the air moving and helping to cool the water and plants.

No notable adverse effects here. The mister is on.

9532631178_2ab4dc2193_b.jpg

Back