• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

need ghost pepper advice

i started my seed in good potting mix and have had them in an aquarium with a cup of water for humidity and a grow light on them. they are about 3 and 4 inches now. ive been reading on how to go from here, but it all confuses me. i think at this point, i should transfer them to a larger pot and cut out the humidity but keep the grow light on them as the a/c is on in the house. i live in ohio and the tem during the day is 80ish, but was a lot cooler last week. i dont know if i should put them outside in pots all the time, or just on hot dry days and bring them in at night or what! i have some pics i want to show, but i dont know how to attach them to a post.
thank you

Start with about 30 mins outside per day, and increase by 30 minutes per day or so. The sun is the enemy at first because it can burn the delicate leaves, so you may want to pick a spot with some shade. The main thing to watch before dciding to leave them outside after this hardening off period is the night time low temps, which should be clear of about 50 or so in the American weather scale. In the end they will be fine, because pepper plants were designed to be fine outdoors long before people started to put them in gardens. Good luck with your peppers!

Yup. Harden them off and throw those babies outside. When its colder then 50 bring them in, when its warmer then 95ish ( you be the judge$ brin them in.

Good luck an happy growing.

ok, i transplanted to bigger pots. do need to still use the grow light while i am adjusting the plants to sunlight? i think i can keep them in garage for now at night from what ive read cause it only goes to bout 70 in garage at night. am i thinking correctly?

I live just north of Columbus Oh. My Jolokias have been outside for a month now . Follow the previous advice about hardening them off and either get them into big containers or in the ground. With the containers you can bring them inside for the first few frosts in the fall and extend your harvest some, or even over-winter them inside and have a headstart with them next spring. Good luck from Chilidon

i hope this works.
P12C0.jpg

wyWSx.jpg

BIsZ3.jpg

these were taken about a week ago. since then, they have both grown over an inch and ive transplanted into bigger containers. i used a gallon milk jug for each plant with my plan being to let them get a little bigger theni can easily cut the jug off to make a final transplant into they're final "home". my question to that is, how big of a pot do i need to support a full grown ghost pepper plant?

nF0OW.jpg

ow8W7.jpg

any advice and/or comments on my peppers would be greatly appreciated! thanks HwyBill for the website info!
thank you!

either get them into big containers or in the ground.
chilidon, how big of a container are you using?

can i use one of those plant food sticks in the pot with these peppers?

5-gallon buckets are ideal, though some would say it's overkill with 5-gallon.. I don't think so because I like to overwinter my plants and I think the larger the pot the better success in overwintering plus they have so much extra room to stretch their legs. In my opinion they look like they need more light. I also think they look big enough to leave outside in a partially shaded area of the yard then gradually introduce them to full sun but don't let the container/soil get too hot. I've been making that mistake for a couple years and then Viola! I had an awakening based on a post I made. Don't water them too much either! Just my .02..

If you put a series of holes in the bottom of your container and you have a good draining bedding soil, it will be difficult to over-water them.

Most of mine are in 3-5 gallon pots.. obviously larger pots will allow for bigger plants = more pods.. but I think 3-5 gallons will allow for a nice sized plant that will produce much fruit.

I have some semi-translucent pots myself.. a little thicker than milk jug plastic.. just keep in mind that if too much light seeps through the pot it could irritate the roots

Back