• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Need help identifying peppers.

I bought some Carolina Reaper seeds from an Ebay seller with a great feedback rating in hope of getting actual reapers but none of the peppers has the tail like a Reaper and they all look different. I was thinking that the fruits of 2 plants look like Trinidad Muruga Scorpion and one looks like a Komodo Dragon or Ghost..
Could also be some variety of 7 Pot? The last pic even looks like a Pepper X.
Not sure.. any help would be appreciated..

Attachments

• 20200424_104233.jpg
    20200424_104233.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 20200424_104242.jpg
    20200424_104242.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 20200424_104250.jpg
    20200424_104250.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 20200424_104308.jpg
    20200424_104308.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 20200424_104320.jpg
    20200424_104320.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 125
Peppers looks great FLP!   My opinion is definitely Chinense now that we have a better look at things.  That one is still a bit of an oddball, but I think it's like just an oddball Chinense.  I could see it perhaps having crossed with a Bhut, though, which would bring in some amount of Frutescens genetics from the Chinense/Frutescens makeup of the Bhut, but that's pretty much just speculation on my part. 

I don't see anything that clearly says Reaper to me, but there could be some Reaper genes in there.  It can be significantly more difficult to ID peppers within a species than to determine the species, especially once the genetics start getting mixed up from open pollination.

I hope you're happy with your plants.  They look like good ones even if they're not what you'd expected.  I'm sure you can get good CR seeds from a reputable source for your next grow.  Stick around here and get to know folks and I'm about 100% sure someone will help you out with that.

EDIT:  Multiple flowers is equivalent to multiple fruit for identification purposes.  You're likely to see multiple fruit when fewer of the flowers are dropping.  Great pictures of the drop scars at the nodes BTW.

CaneDog said:
Peppers looks great FLP!   My opinion is definitely Chinense now that we have a better look at things.  That one is still a bit of an oddball, but I think it's like just an oddball Chinense.  I could see it perhaps having crossed with a Bhut, though, which would bring in some amount of Frutescens genetics from the Chinense/Frutescens makeup of the Bhut, but that's pretty much just speculation on my part. 

I don't see anything that clearly says Reaper to me, but there could be some Reaper genes in there.  It can be significantly more difficult to ID peppers within a species than to determine the species, especially once the genetics start getting mixed up from open pollination.

I hope you're happy with your plants.  They look like good ones even if they're not what you'd expected.  I'm sure you can get good CR seeds from a reputable source for your next grow.  Stick around here and get to know folks and I'm about 100% sure someone will help you out with that.

EDIT:  Multiple flowers is equivalent to multiple fruit for identification purposes.  You're likely to see multiple fruit when fewer of the flowers are dropping.  Great pictures of the drop scars at the nodes BTW.
It's hard to get good pics with a phone. Had to try different angles.
All the seeds planted in that flower pot came from the same seeds. I do have some Thai peppers about 6 feet from those peppers.. I will eat at least one of those peppers once they are ripe.. So far, the hottest I have eaten was a Bhut Jolokia and I could easily handle it. I'm used to eating habaneros and the ghost wasn't all that much hotter. I ordered real Reaper seeds from Puckerbutt .. Smoking Ed himself. I'm sure that those will be real Reapers.
Based on how those peppers look, I would bet that they are hotter than Ghosts.. Will see..

So, I started inspecting all plants that grew from the same seeds..

There are a total of 7 plants that grew from those seeds.

Plant 1:
Definitely Chinense with up to 4 flowers per node. Many fruits already, mushroom shaped.

Plant 2 and 3:
Very small and no fruits or flowers yet

Plant 4:
This is the oddball in there. Can't see any nodes with more than one flower or fruits per node.. Maybe annuum.. This is the one with the Bhut Jolokia shape.

Plant 5:
No fruits yet but multiple flowers per node

Plant 6:
Medium size but no flowers or fruits yet

Plant 7:
That's the one with the wrinkly, Moruga Scorpion looking fruit. It has 4 fruits so far, one per node. Can't see any flowers. Hard to tell if there were more than 1 flowers per node. However, it appears that there were additional flowers where some of the fruits were hanging from.

Attachments

• 20200427_174658.jpg
    20200427_174658.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 109
Yep, those are scars from dropped flowers indicating multiple flowers per node. Note, however, that an interspecific Chinense x Annuum hybrid could show characteristics of each species.

Also, regarding all the seeds from the same pack, two things...

1.  Any single pepper fruit can contain seeds the are genetically different.  It is highly common that pollinating insects will carry pollen from multiple plants, resulting in some seeds being from the plant with the flower being pollinated (self-pollination from the "mother") and other seeds having one or more different "fathers."  Also, a heterozygotic mother can contribute different genetics to different seeds even in instances of self-pollination in total isolation.

2.  I would assume it is common for many eBay and Amazon sellers to just grab seeds from a bunch of different open pollinated fruits and plants, so being in the same pack may not indicate they were from the same pod or plant.

CaneDog said:
Yep, those are scars from dropped flowers indicating multiple flowers per node. Note, however, that an interspecific Chinense x Annuum hybrid could show characteristics of each species.

Also, regarding all the seeds from the same pack, two things...

1.  Any single pepper fruit can contain seeds the are genetically different.  It is highly common that pollinating insects will carry pollen from multiple plants, resulting in some seeds being from the plant with the flower being pollinated (self-pollination from the "mother") and other seeds having one or more different "fathers."  Also, a heterozygotic mother can contribute different genetics to different seeds even in instances of self-pollination in total isolation.

2.  I would assume it is common for many eBay and Amazon sellers to just grab seeds from a bunch of different open pollinated fruits and plants, so being in the same pack may not indicate they were from the same pod or plant.
Good to know.. That's why I ended up ordering real Reaper seeds from Smoking Ed (Puckerbutt). At least I know for sure what I will be getting.. 
Can't complain about what I got from Ebay.. I paid something like $3 including shipping for the seeds.. Pretty peppers for the money!! Based on the look, they are indeed super hot, definitely hotter than ghosts.. I will find out soon.

Did some more image searches and I'm 99% sure that the peppers are Trinidad Moruga Scorpions, even the oddball one.. Moruga Scorpions sometimes can take that shape too.. The same plant now has another fruit and it looks like the fruit on the other plants.. They all look fairly similar and all the shapes match the shapes from pictures of Trinidad Moruga Scorpion peppers.. Some of the younger fruits do have the stinger, just like the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion.. Some of those do have the stinger and most don't..

Many of them look like this
https://i.etsystatic.com/7824311/r/il/c45fa2/430274980/il_794xN.430274980_hpgv.jpg

One of them looks like this..
https://thehippyseedcompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Trinidad-Moruga-Scorpion.jpg

the oddball one is similar to this one
https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/close-photo-trinidad-moruga-scorpion-capsicum-1488356246

They could be, but I really wouldn't count on them being "purebred" anything if you bought them as Carolina Reaper seeds from an Ebay seller.  Distinguishing among the species of peppers by various attributes is generally pretty easy.  Making assumptions as to varieties within species based on pod shape isn't nearly so dependable, especially since unintentional hybridization within species is quite prevalent in open pollination scenarios. 

Was happy to see that your pods are ripening.  Looking forward to hearing how they taste!

CaneDog said:
They could be, but I really wouldn't count on them being "purebred" anything if you bought them as Carolina Reaper seeds from an Ebay seller.  Distinguishing among the species of peppers by various attributes is generally pretty easy.  Making assumptions as to varieties within species based on pod shape isn't nearly so dependable, especially since unintentional hybridization within species is quite prevalent in open pollination scenarios. 

Was happy to see that your pods are ripening.  Looking forward to hearing how they taste!

Of course, it's impossible to know for sure. They sure look like superhots. I will post a video when I consume one of them.. The hottest pepper I have eaten so far was a ghost pepper, so, I will be able to tell if this one is hotter than a ghost pepper or not.. 
Now that most plants have multiple fruit, they seem to be fairly consistent. The only difference is that one of the plants fruits have an upper part a little more elongated than the other plants. The rest is fairly similar.. The plant with the most fruits now has 2 fruits that have the little stinger. No matter what kind of pepper or hybrid they are, they are definitely in a family close to Reapers or Trinidad Moruga Scorpion.

FLPepperhead said:

Of course, it's impossible to know for sure. They sure look like superhots. I will post a video when I consume one of them.. The hottest pepper I have eaten so far was a ghost pepper, so, I will be able to tell if this one is hotter than a ghost pepper or not.. 
Now that most plants have multiple fruit, they seem to be fairly consistent. The only difference is that one of the plants fruits have an upper part a little more elongated than the other plants. The rest is fairly similar.. The plant with the most fruits now has 2 fruits that have the little stinger. No matter what kind of pepper or hybrid they are, they are definitely in a family close to Reapers or Trinidad Moruga Scorpion.

I certainly agree with that.  If you're like me, those might hit you a good bit harder than the ghosts  :)

The Trinidad Moruga Scorpion was the first super-hot I tried, and yikes was it hot. But it has a fun flavor for sure. Hope you like 'em! For me, my one plant produced a wide variety of pod shapes and sizes. If you keep seeds from these plants (assuming you isolate a flower) and they grow out the same, you may indeed have relatively pure TMS plants. As you say, ebay sellers are cheap, and you get what you pay for. For me, I prefer knowing what I order, and have still been able to find cheap seed sources. I actually got a huge TMS plant late in the season for $2.50 at a local nursery. So keep that in mind.

Best,
Nathan

Pimental said:
The Trinidad Moruga Scorpion was the first super-hot I tried, and yikes was it hot. But it has a fun flavor for sure. Hope you like 'em! For me, my one plant produced a wide variety of pod shapes and sizes. If you keep seeds from these plants (assuming you isolate a flower) and they grow out the same, you may indeed have relatively pure TMS plants. As you say, ebay sellers are cheap, and you get what you pay for. For me, I prefer knowing what I order, and have still been able to find cheap seed sources. I actually got a huge TMS plant late in the season for $2.50 at a local nursery. So keep that in mind.

Best,
Nathan
I will find out soon what the heat level will be.. 2 of the fruits are almost ready. Some of the newer fruit now have the little stinger like the Reaper...

Attachments

• 20200515_101544.jpg
    20200515_101544.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 20200515_101452.jpg
    20200515_101452.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 108
  • 20200515_190359.jpg
    20200515_190359.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 20200515_190316.jpg
    20200515_190316.jpg