• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Need help identifying pests

Hey guys

I know theres probably a lot of these posts around but i really wanna get some second opinions on this before i shell out for some good guys to fight this infestation

I got 2 different pests, some smaller white ones (seen on the last picture) and what i assume is aphids (seen in all 3 pictures)

Anyone got some ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20180719_1614051.jpg
    IMG_20180719_1614051.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20180719_1614511.jpg
    IMG_20180719_1614511.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20180720_1517261.jpg
    IMG_20180720_1517261.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 65
Those are some seriously bad pics.  If you're taking these on a camera phone, try to focus on the object we want to see.  In other words, touch the screen where the object you want to focus on, appears.

Those pics could be anything.  Aphids, aphid mummies, something else...

Yep looks like a bigfoot infestation. Sasquatch is notorious for levelling plants to the ground... and being out-of-focus. Or it might be a booger or something idk. Get some better pics or wait for an omnipotent forum member to chime in. Me? I'm just a wiseguy.
Those object-looking things on the leaf underside maaaay be aphids, and the white areas in the photo coouuld be mummies, like dood said.
If so, and they're only on one leaf bottom... I'll keep it real with you: all i do is mush them by rubbing between my thumb and forefinger, but so as to not damage the leaf.

solid7 said:
Those are some seriously bad pics.  If you're taking these on a camera phone, try to focus on the object we want to see.  In other words, touch the screen where the object you want to focus on, appears.

Those pics could be anything.  Aphids, aphid mummies, something else...

The pics are focused on the bugs, pressed the screen on the leaf, it doesnt really get much better than this with my cam, i've reuploaded the pics to imgur though since the files were too big to upload to this site

Mr. West said:
Yep looks like a bigfoot infestation. Sasquatch is notorious for levelling plants to the ground... and being out-of-focus. Or it might be a booger or something idk. Get some better pics or wait for an omnipotent forum member to chime in. Me? I'm just a wiseguy.
Those object-looking things on the leaf underside maaaay be aphids, and the white areas in the photo coouuld be mummies, like dood said.
If so, and they're only on one leaf bottom... I'll keep it real with you: all i do is mush them by rubbing between my thumb and forefinger, but so as to not damage the leaf.

Aphids were also what i was thinking, since the white cocoon thing was originally attached to the bug for a little while. They're both on the bottom and top but it might be because the leaf was touching the top of another leaf with a similar cluster of bugs.

Here's the imgur pictures.

It dont look like any kind of infestation at this point. they do look like aphids but they appear to be mummitized by some variety of aphidious wasp. I would leave them alone in that case as it is the best type of natural protection against aphids.

CAPCOM said:
It dont look like any kind of infestation at this point. they do look like aphids but they appear to be mummitized by some variety of aphidious wasp. I would leave them alone in that case as it is the best type of natural protection against aphids.
Well there's more than the ones i took pics of, its not too bad atm but i'd like to keep it down before it goes out of hand. It looked more like they were shedding their skin since the cocoon was originally attached to the bug. Maybe i'll leave them for a little while and see what happens

Yes, actually I think they are molting their exoskeleton.   They look a little bit too white and translucent to be mummies...

You may want to try moving the phone back just a bit next time. Mine has a hard time focusing on close up objects. A lot of people have also used loupes or small magnifying lenses to take macro shots if needed.

Generally when you find 1 aphid you will find a cluster of them together(which I do not see in the pic). Many aphids, once they are parasitized, will wander off from the group which appears to be what I see in the pic. 
For close up pics, try zooming in from a longer distance when using a cell phone.

Back