• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Need help with ID

I need help with identifying this pepper... stupid me bought some naga jolokia seeds on ebay last year, and out of the batch, 2 different types of peppers are sprouting up. This one seems like a cayenne or something to me, while the other type seems to be habanero...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hmm... ok, so it might still be worth while to keep the plant.. maybe make crushed red pepper or hot chili powder from it, etc.... pickle...

One of my favorite powders - I use it on everything.

Got any pics of the other plant?

One of my favorite powders - I use it on everything.

Got any pics of the other plant?

I will grab some later on today... though that one I am almost sure is a habanero

Then again now, I am having trouble remembering if the other plant was even from the same seed, or if i planted it seperately lol....

But the tezpur/pc-1/naga jolokia has been around these parts for a lot longer than C. chinense naga/bhuts. Remember that nagaland is a place in India, and jolokia just means pepper/chile so there are many naga jolokias

Pc-1 do yield very well but I find the flavor and heat very dissapointing

But the tezpur/pc-1/naga jolokia has been around these parts for a lot longer than C. chinense naga/bhuts. Remember that nagaland is a place in India, and jolokia just means pepper/chile so there are many naga jolokias

Pc-1 do yield very well but I find the flavor and heat very dissapointing
your right just plain dry heat no juice in the pods makes the flavor more bitter even its from same family of tabasco yet it doesnot taste as good as tabasco

From what I can read, it seems it is nowhere near as hot either... doh...

Pics of the garden and 2 pics of the other plant.

No its HOT but its deffirant type of heat fresh pods are not widley used , cuz its has very thin skin and TONS of seeds in the pods, the heat doesnot go beyond the tonuge , unlike most c.chinense where they hit the throat and all the way down to the rest of the body. simply saying it has instant dry tungue piercing bite wihtout good flavor. Its still good powdering pepper

The heat also depends on your seeds source

In 2001 SHU tests, ecoseeds pc-1 was only 6208 SHU while Reimer's(Never buy from them) was nearly triple the heat at 81984

http://www.fiery-foods.com/article-archives/86-capsaicin/105-2001-scoville-heat-levels-reported

I love the naga pc-1 i got from rainbowchiliseeds. Awesome for roasting and quite hot. Mine have alot of flavor. I agree though about the scoville rating. Maybe 75 to 100,000 . But still a but burner for me. :onfire:
Here is a pic of it
IMG_1733.jpg

Back