• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Need info on ferts...

Yeah, I have TRIED to do that. Sorry, not trying to shoot down everything you say Hab. lol I just "let them sit" in that mix I had for about a month and a half. They grew MAYBE an inch. Most of them had tons of roots when I moved them into the Pro Mix.
I just dont want them to die because I only have one or two plants of certain types, like Barrackpore, Jonah, etc.

Poops, get a 'do-it-yourself' pH tester kit. I think I bought mine for around $5-7. You fill the test tube up with water and soil, pop a tablet in and shake for 10 seconds or so, then compare the color to a chart. Then at least you'll have a starting point for your analysis.

Looks like with this pH tester kit, with the pills, the pH is around a 6 with this Pro Mix.
Since it was probably high with the soil I HAD them in, do ya'll think I should just leave it alone?

Did you test the PH of the soil from the original bag of pro-mix or some of the actual soil from one of your pots with plants? I would think there is a chance that the dolomite might have affected the PH more than that so make sure you test some of the actual soil in question if you did not already.

Most species prefer a pH range from 6.0 - 6.8 although some varieties prefer more or less acidity (hell, that almost sounded like another disclaimer). You've started to lose me on what soil you are testing. Whether it is in the garden, your pots, whatever, test where you are growing. I believe most potting mixes are pH neutral (pH of 7) but I'm sure they vary. If you've already been adding soil amendments, then you've most likely changed that. For starters, test where you're seedling are growing to see if the soil has a potential pH issue. Relax, breathe, take a step back, you'll get your babies back in order...

Ok, I know there have been discussions on fertilizers, but why no stickies? Or am I just blind? lol
I'm sure most of ya'll have seen my recent post with my yellow plants. Here's the deal....I start my seeds just like everyone else. I either use peat pellets, or MG starter soil. Pellets have worked for me in the past, but I doubt I will use them after this year. Too many issues this year. I am just using them now because I have a bunch of them! lol
Anypoo...looking at some people's threads, like Silver Surfers (sorry to pick on ya there buddy!), and it doesnt look like I do anything different than he does. Well, for the most part. I started off repotting my first batch of seedlings straight into a mix that I used for my full-sized plants last year. The mix was 4 parts peat moss, 2 parts Sta Green potting soil, 2 parts composted cow manure, and 1 part perlite. I bought a bag of dolomitic lime last year, but never opened it since my plants did AWESOME. If it aint broke, dont fix it, right?
Well, after a couple of weeks, I noticed my babies turning yellow. So, I gave them a shot of Epsom salt and fish emulsion, quarter strength. I guess I was under the impression that you shouldnt feed your seedlings too early. I guess I was wrong about that. I also talked to WickedMojo about this deal, and he said that last year he used the same potting soil, the Sta Green brand. It did the same thing to his plants. Well, about a week and a half ago, I RE-potted the affected plants into straight Pro Mix. The first time after that I watered them, I gave them a quarter strength fish emulsion with a scoop of the dolomitic lime disolved into the mix as well. The more and more I read about the yellowing, all signs pointed to a calcium deficiency. I read, on here, that the lime will give them a good bit of calcium. After the first feeding, 5 plants took a REAL bad turn. The leaves shriveled up, and started falling off. I dont mean got DRY, then shriveled up. The soil was moist. In an effort to save them, I pulled all of the "bad" leaves off so the plants could expend all of their energy into growing instead of fixing itself.
Just a few minutes ago, I watered them with the same fish emulsion/dolomitic lime solution, but added less water. It was closer to a half-strength solution this time. I wanted to be a little more drastic this time. I guess I will soon see how that works out.
So, on to a few questions...People on here talk about different fertlizers doing different things. i.e.Epsom salt giving the plants magnesium to make the plants greener. What about other fertilizers? What does, say, fish emulsion give them? And what does it do for the plant? That's just one example. I go to college, so I dont really have the time to break everything down. I know I COULD do it, I just dont have the time.
Also, what about the signs of issues with plants? Like a sticky on that? Take MY yellow-leaf problem as an example. What could the possibilities be? People have helped me out in my other thread. I appreciate all of ya'lls help! That's not what I mean. What I mean is maybe someone making a chart. X problem could be caused by this, or this, or this, etc.
I hope I didnt sound too mixed up here. My brain goes fuzzy when it gets overloaded with questions! lol :crazy:

thats actually a very good idea. I googled to try and find a spreadsheet or database for this but found ziltch. I think I will start something like this and then post in here for people to add to/modify.

HP you talking something like this? yes my spelling sucks but I rushed it...can fix that later :)

PlantIssue.png

Yeah man! That's pretty much what I was talking about! Mainly just that someone did a sticky on soil, but no one has done one on ferts. So yeah, that and something that says what each individual thing does for our plants. Since this is a pepper site, I would stick with pepper plants. And yes, I know that there are tons of different things that we can give our plants. But, there are certain ferts that people use the most of. Also, IF someone wanted to get frisky, maybe where they could find said fertilizers. Like, say, amonium sulfate can be found in "x" fertilizer, and you can buy said fertilizer "here."
Fertilizers are a touchy subject. Different things work for different situations, so why not post something that people can cross reference to use on their plants? Shoot, why cant this be a cumulative effort for EVERYONE on this site that is willing to contribute? Would this not be an EXTREMELY useful resource? This could allow someone that knows a thing or two about ferts maybe try something new. Or, it could help someoone like ME, that knows hardly anything about ferts, to reference something that they could try out. I see LOTS of uses for something like this.
Who's down to do this?
But yeah mmc, that's a kick ass start! I LIKE it!!!

Back