• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

need recomendations on super hot peppers to grow

Hi everyone I am a total noob and this year I started to grow peppers, I planted Carolina reaper/Moruga Scorpion and it's been almost 4 months since I planted them at the beginning in February  and they are still super small, later I learned that they are indeed slow growers. I live in Alberta Canada so the summer here is relatively short and it doesn't get all that hot ( 30-31 is the hottest it gets and it only last like 2 days, usually around 20-30 during the day for 3-4 months if we are lucky). Can anyone recommend any peppers that grow relatively easier/faster but still super hot?
Much thanks!

+1 on starting indoors and maybe look into getting a small greenhouse. A greenhouse could help you squeeze a little more time out of your growing season. If you don't have the space to start indoors then consider ordering some established plants online.

I agree that there are no Early supers. If any one variety produced more quickly than the others, you might be looking at 115days vs 120days. That being said, if you started your Morugas and Reapers in early February, with good light and soul and some nutrients, they ought not be all that small.... I am a fairly new grower myself, this being my second season, and I've struggled with starts both years. In both cases, poor starting soil was my biggest problem (but not my only problem lol)... If your plants are very small, you might want to look at your methods. I swear I'm not trying to be judgemental, but when I checked out these other growers' goods and saw what their indoor plants looked like after a few months... I knew something was messed up.

All that being said, I liked every Super I have grown so far.... Which hasn't been too many. But I found both red and yellow Brainstrains, JPGS, and Naga Morich to be tasty and very productive. . . I mean, maybe they're not, but all those varieties produced a lot more than I expected, and they also outperformed most all of my other, hab-level and below Chiles. (There were a few notable exceptions...)

Ty for the replies and suggestions everyone, Bicycle808 I took these pictures yesterday, do you think they look alright or on the small side?
IMG_0055.JPG

BarrelGriser said:
Ty for the replies and suggestions everyone, Bicycle808 I took these pictures yesterday, do you think they look alright or on the small side?

I'd say they look alright. A little small given the age, but they're not like some of the stunted plants I've tried to grow, lol. Now that they're outside and presumably in bigger containers, they'll probably really blow up for you.

Bicycle808 said:
I'd say they look alright. A little small given the age, but they're not like some of the stunted plants I've tried to grow, lol. Now that they're outside and presumably in bigger containers, they'll probably really blow up for you.

That especially.  Get em in the ground or in bigger pots if you can - they'll take a couple weeks to get used to the new place and then they will grow a lot.  Definitely start earlier indoors if possible - I'm in Chicago and start my seeds in early Feb for mid May plant out.  Still don't get much fruit until August.  

you guys think they are too small to be given fertilizers or no, also you guys think Miracle Grow 12-4-8 is a good choice for them or should I use 6-12-12 CIL Tomato Food for them? Sorry to bombard you guys with questions lol, much thanks!

I was super late with it but I've started to feed mine with Miracle-Gro Tomato (18-18-21). Not the best but they've really blown up since the first feeding. I've heard that it's good to start feeding weakly after a few sets of true leaves so you're probably well past the point where you shouldn't feed

One strategy to deal with a short growing season like you have and inherently late season Superhots is to plan on over-wintering those that seem the most robust.  I haven't grown the varieties you mentioned, but I have a 3 season-old Trinidad Chocolate Scorpion that has been producing for the past month already.  This single plant survived a very cold winter (for Florida Panhandle) that killed several other pepper plants and it's now thriving.

I had a reaper last year that ended up producing about 5 pods. I overwintered it and now it's shot branches out of the barren stem (untopped) and has been throwing flowers out like crazy, vs not getting flowers last year until September (way slower than everything else I grew)

Overwintering is definitely a solid option.

I'd say for almost 4 months old those are on the small side.
What kind of lights, growing media, and nutrition are you giving them...
its never too early to start overwinters for next year.

also whats your experience with heat? what peppers have you tried?
we may be able to recommend something that will still kick you in the guts

I leave them outside where it's in the mid 20s most of the time, drops to 15ish during the night, I use Promix potting soil, I just started giving them some bone meal 4-10-0 and before that i would sometimes feed them miracle grow 12-4-8, I grew Trinidad scorpion around 5 years ago one summer and I remember it grew much faster than this and I don't think I ever fed it any fertilizers, they all bore fruit and were pretty big by the end of the summer too.

Best advice I can give comes from experience I believe, heres my reaper on April 15th and now on May 20th. Did 3 things: stopped overwatering, added blueberry acidifier and use rainwater. Sorry they are always sideways, they are upright everywhere but here lol

Attachments

• 72196E3B-3A38-458A-8680-1555416B81E7.jpeg
    72196E3B-3A38-458A-8680-1555416B81E7.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 77
  • 41070035-3E83-4359-9828-582A4711F6C0.jpeg
    41070035-3E83-4359-9828-582A4711F6C0.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 87
If at all possible start your seeds indoors around new years or even in early winter before then if you have space. I learned a hard lesson last year that I need to have plants that are already close blooming when they're planted to really get any pod production worth celebrating. 

7 pot peppers are by far the fastest Super hot that I've grown especially Brain Strain Red and 7 pot Yellow. I've also had strong growth from Moruglah F3 which grew like a weed. Nagas, Reapers, Ghosts, all the Bhut strains are quite slow and don't really pick up until they're well into their first round of flowers and are established. 

g1QTsR0h.jpg

hey winggum I grew Trinidad scorpion butch T strain/Moruga scorpion (cant remember which one) 5 years ago one summer and they all grew pretty fast and all bore fruits by the end of the year. I'd say exponentially faster than the carolina reaper, Ill look into the 7pot brain strain next year. TY

Back