• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Need Some Advice

CHI CHIEN

Species: Annuum
Origin: China
Heat: Hot (70,000 Scoville Units)
Plant Height: 18-24 in.
Fruit Shape: Tapered with thin skin
Fruit Size: Small (under 2" in length)
Fruit Color: Green changing to red
Seed Type: Open-pollinated
Days to Maturity: 69-80 days
Usage: Fresh, salsa, salads, drying, pickling. Also an ideal ornamental

I grew chi-chien last year. Small-ish plants with multiple chilis (sometimes 7-8) per node. Small green to red chilis. Leaves are long as opposed to wide and heat is fairly hot, perhaps 3/5. Fruits take about 8 weeks to ripen.

I noticed that chileman website has several guide links on the left for new chile grower, germination, feeding, pests....

I bookmarked it and will be spending some time there myself! Thanks Patrick!

I would be careful in following the tips online as most of the time they are tips that are based on one's opinion like he said to use a "peat free" mix when planting seeds. I have found this written in several places online not because peppers don't do well in peat, but because the author simply doesn't want to suggest using peat to keep the landfills free of peat. In fact I have had a LOT better luck with peat pucks then the other 3 typs of medium I've used, but only because I did the reasearch here and followed the tips by other here who used peat pucks. In fact last years and this years germination rate has been over 95% with peat pucks.

i've geminated most of my 103 varieties this year in peat pucks/jiffy pellets with good success, around 90% at a wild guess.chileman's database is very handy-a lot of growers refer to it as their chilli identification bible, but re. growing mediums, it's always what's best for you.trial & error's sometimes the best option.

It all comes down to what is easier and works best for you. I do not like the peat pellets. Had good germination with them and didn't lose any plants, but were difficult to dial in the moisture and were very labor intensive at pot up when you remove the netting. Some people use the peat pot and love them, I HATE them. Never had a good plant grow in them. Pulled the plants at the end of the year and the peat pot was still intact and suffocating the plant. I prefer to use seed starting mix in plastic trays. It just works best for me.

Good luck!
jacob

Back