• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Need some help diagnosing leaf-problems

Hello!

Im a new poster from Sweden needing some help diagnosing some leaf-"problems". I grow all my chillis inside my apartment but have been moving out some plants on the balcony this week.

First image is my rocoto plant. I guess this is some kind of bacteria?? Can anyone confirm? Is there anything todo about it? Its mostly on the old leaves, haven't spotted anything yet on the new growth so Im crossing my fingers. Had my other rocoto die when it was about 15 cm to the same symptoms, it dropped all of the leafs.
IMG_0376.jpg

Second picture is from my "Spanish pepper" store-bought chills i took the seeds from. I guess this is general nuitriet-def? I don't usually give my peppers any feeding but started a couple of weeks ago, this plant has also been overwintered and haven't been repotted.
IMG_0377.jpg

Last picture is also from a "Spanish pepper" plant, this one i got no clue about, many leaves have spots like these, mostly on new growth and from time to time the leaves feels very leathery, maybe its bacteria also since this and my manzano have the same soil? This plant is very big so I aint too anxious yet since its only some parts of the plants with these symptoms.
IMG_0378.jpg

Anyone wanna make some guesses? :) Cheers.

clorosis for the first couple...no clue on the last one

I have no clue what that is then. I'd just watch the new growth and see if it does the same thing. If so you might have a lil prob. Other wise I would let them dry out and then flush the soil with plain water. Have you been fertilizing your plants?

i had a similar problem i let mine dry out to the point that the leafes started to wilt then added a little water the leafs that changed colors some of them droped off i also used a spray on all my plants after the leaf color change happened. its a bacterial/insect killer. did not have the problem on any other plants after that.

Now its getting worse and seem to have spread to nearby plants... :( Looking at pictures over the internet I'm fairly certain its bacterial leaf spot but there doesn't seem to be a viable solution to this? It seems you can slow the disease but not eradicate?

The last picture looks a little like a leaf miner of some sort. If you take off one of the infected leaves and carefully cut into the blistered area you may find a tiny insect larva. If so remove all infected leaves and burn them.

A comment on the other issues, as you are growing these indoors you are probably not getting as much air circulation as those grown outside or in a polytunnel or greenhouse, in my opinion that wont help when it comes to plant health in general so maybe if you can address that somehow...?

Just a thought, good luck Zingo.

The whole "slow but not eradicate" thing is bull. Copper and sulphur dude....copper and sulphur. Mind your watering and ya know....a little fungal/bacterial tea always helps the plant ward off disease...First pic is 100% spot. A wee bit of chlorotic splotching on the second pic.

The whole "slow but not eradicate" thing is bull. Copper and sulphur dude....copper and sulphur. Mind your watering and ya know....a little fungal/bacterial tea always helps the plant ward off disease...First pic is 100% spot. A wee bit of chlorotic splotching on the second pic.

Ok, thanks for answers. Have been surfing the web and it seems most copper-based pesticides is banned in sweden/eu. I've found a recipe to make some kind of "rose-water" that might do; 3 l of water, 3 tablespoons of calcium hydroxide and 6 teaspoons of copper-sulfate. Any "chemist" know if this might work do?
Anyone got a link to the stuff you're buying in the US/UK for these kind of diseases so I can compare?

An update if anyone cares..., Ive tried different pesticides/fungicides but none had worked this far and the disease had spread to most (80%) of my plants. Its mostly old growth thats affected and they're falling of after some time.The fruit yield stills seems to be ok and the fruits themselves isn't affected.
I will throw away all plants when the season ends and do a really good scrub on all pots with chlorine and start from completely fresh seeds next year. FYI my basilplants have this disease also.

Cheers.

You say they haven't been repotted yet... Ive had some get so rootbound they plugged the drain holes causing them to retain excess water in the potting mix and the older leaves turned yellow and dropped. Some also got brown spots and leaf curl.

I repotted into larger pots and everything was fine after that... turned into beautiful plants that year. I don't use any fertilizer either so I know my problem was just that I didn't repot soon enough.

Do you know what size pots you have them in or have some pics of full plants?

Hmm, to clarify, I made first post over a year ago, I kept some manzanos for overwintering since they're slow growers but they were diseased and it spread to my jalapenos and cayennes I planted this year. All plants have been repotted atleast 2 times and is in 2-5 gallons pots atm.
The diseased leaves looks more moldy/spoty and dried up than the pictures indicate. It has to be some virus/bacteria since the basil have the exact same symptoms I guess...  Oh well, it ain't fatal and Ive learnt something for next year I hope (dont keep infected plants for overwintering :))

Back