• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Need some Tomato info

I am having some difficulties finding out some info on the tomatoes I'm growing this year. Since I am growing at least 7 varieties and space is limited in my Tomato Bed, I have decided to grow all of my Determinates in containers. However I'm having a difficult time figuring out which is what.

Here is what I've got so far, in terms of Determinate & Interminate:

Rutgers VFA = Determinate
Opalka = Interminate
Italian Sweet = Interminate
General Borghese = ?
Sweet Cherry Gold = Interminate?
San Marzano = ?
Earl's Faux = ?

Hopefully I can get this all sorted out prior to planting them. Thanks for any assistance you guys might have.

build a trelis behind the buckets let the matos grow up on it saves space, use 1/2" electrical conduit and 90 ells and elcheapo nylon net from wal-mart

I've never heard of General Borghese? Principe Borghese and Rutgers are determinate, the others I belive are indeterminate

I had some General Borghese seeds however i never grew them. There is no info on the net that i can find either.

Ciao PepperFreak-

I'm with Potawie on this one..I've only heard of Principe Borghese and I'd call it semi-determinate because it can get to about 4-5 ft tall when grown in the ground. Sweet Cherry Gold is probably indeterminate. There aren't many determinate cherries out there. San Marzano could be determinate OR indeterminate. There are many iterations of San Marzano out there, all named for the region of Italy called San Marzano. There are some hybrid San Marzanos and some open-pollinated San Marzanos. Check your source for that one. Earl's Faux and Opalka are both indeterminate. If you got your San Marzano seeds in a trade and can't determine which one you have, you have a choice. You can go with the one you have and assume indeterminate so you have enough staking ability should it get tall OR you can PM me and I can send you seeds of a named variety of San Marzano so you'll KNOW precisely what you have. :) Even if you started your seeds already, you have time to sow more.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Sorellina, thanks for the offer but I purchased the San Marzano from Tomato Growers and just found out that they are Interminate.

Thanks again, I'm going to be starting these seeds this up coming week.

Back