• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Need thick-fleshed, prolific pepper suggestion

The scotch bonnets are not superhots. They are a little less hot than regular habaneros. There are a lot of fake Scotch bonnets being sold, so you gotta be careful, heh. I have some yellow (still green but I trust the person) ones that look authenic this year. Last year I was sold fake ones and traded for what looks like real ones on this site :) . I've been using chipotle moritas in my mild sauces for other people. These smoked jalapenos taste awesome.

They also make a great tasting BBQ sauce, which I just use tomato paste, molasses, liquid smoke, and lots of chipotles. It was a bit hot for my gf, but she loved the taste so much she ate a bunch of BBQ chicken :) . A good way to get people's tolerances up is to make a great tasting sauce. I made a 7 pot version for myself. Same ingredients with just dried 7 pot Jonahs added in. Sorry about the tangent on BBQ sauce.

PS

Are you looking for thick peppers so your sauces are thicker without having to use corn starch or another thickener? If that's the case, dried peppers thicken up sauces despite if they are thin walled or not. Thai chiles make a really good sauce imo. I use thai dragons, which are on the hotter end. However, I'd suggest trying a thai pepper that isn't as hot for your friends. They are so thin they will dry on the plant if you let them. I just put em in half vinegar and half water, then I put two limes in the mix and cook them before purée them. I am able to make the sauce thicker than I want so I can add water and vinegar to get the right consistency while purée them. A lot of people liked the thai flavor. The plants are prolific and seem to be the easiest ones I've grown. They are so easy I have an area that only gets partial sun where I put them due to lack of room. They still do well enough to give me lots of chiles.

Dulac; That is amazingly stupid that I've spent this much time here and did not know that Scotch Bonnets were less-hot than Habaneros! Do they have a good flavor? Who's got true seeds?

The BBQ sauce sounds delicious. Wish you'd list the actual recipe here.

You're correct about the great little Thai peppers. I've been, for years, buying large bags of Thai peppers and adding them to store-bought sauce (Schriracha) and my homemade sauces. And, I still make powders with them. I like the flavor but, I also enjoy the fresh flavor of other pods. Growing my own will probably cost more but the different types, freshness and satisfaction make it worth the effort.

A very generous and expert grower here, is sending me some seed of a Thai pepper that tastes great, is prolific, is a large plant and, can take this Louisiana heat!

Yes, I am concentrating on thick peppers to give me more "fresh pepper" flavor, more volume and different flavors.

That's exactly right, I can't imagine making my own stuff and adding corn-starch or other "thickeners" to
them. That's precisely why I am looking for these solutions. It's encouraging to hear that your Thai peppers are easy and productive.

There is a town here in Louisiana with the name "Dulac".

I'll have to share my BBQ recipe. I never write down any of my recipes or measure. I just use my eyes and keep track in my head. I forgot to mention I also put honey in the sauce.

I understand what you're going for with the fresh pepper flavor now. Scotch bonnets have a great flavor. I'm used to the yellow ones, which have a unique flavor much like a yellow 7 pot. It might be a good idea to try both yellow and red. Yellow will be more fruity. I don't know if it will give you the flavor you're looking for, but I'm pretty sure red would. I have what look like authentic yellow Scotch bonnets growing. I had a bad start on the 3 different red varieties I was trying this year to see which one I thought was true and good. None of them made it :( . I had a bad start on many of my plants because of the crappy soil I bought.

Another thick fleshed pepper is big jims. Not much heat but they grow about a foot long! I'd say they are prolific for their size.There is also a thicker variety of cayenne that I prefer over thin cayennes. I didn't get my seeds from this company but here is a link to that variety: http://www.pepperseeds.eu/cayenne-thick.html

"There is a town here in Louisiana with the name 'Dulac.'"

That makes a lot of sense since a lot of French people settled over there. It's my last name and means "of the lake in French." They removed the space between du and lac when my ancestors moved from Canada to Maine (spoke Maine/Canadian French, but I speak a bit of Parisian French). Louisiana sure is an interesting place I want to visit.

"There is a town here in Louisiana with the name 'Dulac.'"

That makes a lot of sense since a lot of French people settled over there. It's my last name and means "of the lake in French." They removed the space between du and lac when my ancestors moved from Canada to Maine (spoke Maine/Canadian French, but I speak a bit of Parisian French). Louisiana sure is an interesting place I want to visit.
I was also aware of the name Dulac. My parents spoke only (Cajun) French to us. There are very few left who speak this absolutely beautiful dialect.

The Big Jims are definitely worth a shot. That is specifically the pepper that I've been reading about, that some folks are saying, shuts down completely during the summer doldrums. And, we have a loooonnng cauldron-like summer here. Maybe the good news is, we have very mild fall and winter weather. Maybe the ones that shut down in the heat will make it up during our cooler months.

Merci mon cousin

Bigoledude said:
I was also aware of the name Dulac. My parents spoke only (Cajun) French to us. There are very few left who speak this absolutely beautiful dialect.

The Big Jims are definitely worth a shot. That is specifically the pepper that I've been reading about, that some folks are saying, shuts down completely during the summer doldrums. And, we have a loooonnng cauldron-like summer here. Maybe the good news is, we have very mild fall and winter weather. Maybe the ones that shut down in the heat will make it up during our cooler months.

Merci mon cousin

Il fait très chaud et humide à Louisiana! Maybe you gotta stick with c.chinese down there. I'd still give it a shot, especially with mild winter weather.  It's cool you got the Cajun background. I'd love to see Cajun culture when I can visit.

De rien mon copain.

You know what they say "It's not the heat, it's the humidity". As ridiculous as that sounds, the humidity does beat us down! However, tell the folks who's temps have gotten well over 100 degrees FOR WEEKS! Humidity or not, c'est chaud.

Come visit soon Lil Brother. I'm tellin ya, the real Cajun culture is disappearing rapidly. Before long, there'll only be tourist trap Cajuns left. If you give me a heads-up, we could have you on an alligator hunt, hog hunt, or catching some of our local wide-shouldered, reel emptying redfish in about 12 inches of water.

Dulac, I think I just talked myself into a Saturday morning fishing trip!

Hopefully it won't disappear by the time I make it. I've got the next two years planned for vacation. I often head up north to visit family. I'd like to go on a frog hunt, because I like to eat them. Do you all do that? I've encountered alligators while boating in south Florida, and I'm not too comfortable around them, lol. They don't taste half bad either. I know how humidity feels. My grandmother lived in south Florida for the end of her life. She wanted to escape the cold. She would always sit outside in the middle of summer, lol. I'd sweat a river just sitting there. It gets pretty humid here but not as much south Florida and Louisiana. 

Yes, my sons do some frogging. But, it's weird, you may catch a hundred frogs one night, go back the following night and be lucky to get 6-7. Frogging is best when it's warm/hot. This is also prime-time for our bigole cottonmouths and alligators. We've never had a real incident with either. Just gotta be aware of your surroundings and make darn certain what you're grabbing.

Just got some Chilhuacle Rojo. A nice thick pepper, taste good and puts-out like crazy. I'd like to plant some "sweeter" peppers. I have several grandchildren who love munching on fresh peppers. They just can't handle the hot ones yet.

Back