• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

need your opinion best flavor,best looking pods

i am trying to get a list together for xmas for seeds im going to buy my dad. he is 60+ years old so supper hots are not going to work for him. what are the best tasteing and best looking pepper species. every ones opinion counts.

Good idea for your dad. Taste can be somewhat subjective though. What type of meals does he like, what level of heat? There are a lot of nice heirloom sweets too if he does not want any heat. IF he BBQ's, a nice stuffing pepper for cheese, or popper type would be good too.

i am trying to get a list together for xmas for seeds im going to buy my dad. he is 60+ years old so supper hots are not going to work for him. what are the best tasteing and best looking pepper species. every ones opinion counts.

Judohero,

You'll probably get few or more random opinions here, but if you want to speed things up a bit, check online with the "old" stanby companies such as " Burpee or Park" seeds, you'll get discriptions, pictures, and prices. There are members here that also have a good variety of seeds available......inquire at the "markerplace"

Greg

I haven't tried it myself, but in similar threads i've seen the Fresno mentioned quite often for taste. As far as appearance, maybe try tobago seasoning or perfume, or maybe the numex suaves. They look like hot stuff but are lacking in heat compared to their super hot brethren.

The New Mexico Heritage Big Jim is THE chile to grow for most folks.
Great pepper, just wish it would grow better/more productive in my climate. I think most of the Numex types prefer a dry climate.

As for the mild C. chinenses, most are quite dissapointing in my opinion and taste more like bell peppers than chiles

he is 60+ years old so supper hots are not going to work for him.

There are several of us on this forum that is 60+ and personally I don't think age has anything to do with heat tolerance...taste is another thing...the caribbean reds have a fantastic flavor but the best tasting pod to me is a standard ol' 7 Pot...that is my absolute favorite...I don't eat fresh pods most of the time unless it is a jalapeno, cayenne, or another pepper in that heat range...5K-50K scoville units...I dehydrate them or make puree out of them and use them as spice while cooking...

There are several of us on this forum that is 60+ and personally I don't think age has anything to do with heat tolerance...taste is another thing...the caribbean reds have a fantastic flavor but the best tasting pod to me is a standard ol' 7 Pot...that is my absolute favorite...I don't eat fresh pods most of the time unless it is a jalapeno, cayenne, or another pepper in that heat range...5K-50K scoville units...I dehydrate them or make puree out of them and use them as spice while cooking...

+1 on the flavor...........60.....what's dat..... :lol:

Back