• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Neem Oil

- it's supposed to be very safe (you can burn foliage if the sun is bright); it is not harmful to mammals, birds, earthworms or some beneficial insects such as butterflies and bees
- it is biodegradable
- though it may not kill instantly, the active compound (Azadirachtin) disrupts the insects' breeding and feeding functions, and any oil in general is an insecticide
- it can act as a systemic insecticide...you can water with it, the plant will absorb it, and any pest that feeds on your plant, even those inside of the plant (like leafminer), will be affected
- because the active compound is so complex, it will be a long time before insects can adapt to it
- it is a fungicide (don't know if it is a systemic fungicide)

The best product is straight Neem Oil. There is also the extracted compound Azadirachtin which is the insecticidal agent, though the products with it do not have the fungicidal properties of the oil. There is also Clarified Hydrophobic Extract of Neem Oil, which is basically the leftover product from Azadirachtin extraction...it's simply oil without the special Neem insecticidal compound (use vegetable oil instead if that's what you want).

Now this is what I know about it, but I cannot comment from personal experience as I've not had to use it yet. Will try it this year (if I have to).

Does anyone have any experience with it?

I had an aphid infestation last year - not billions or millions but thousands of them. I mixed some of it with Safer Soap and water in a pump-up sprayer. Every time I saw a single aphid, I sprayed all my seedlings (hundreds of them) from the top and sides. A few days later, no aphids and it stayed that way for the rest of the time.

Good product!

Mike

Awesome stuff, IMO... Well, for the situation I was in anyway.

A few months back I had a little aphid problem, sprayed my plants with a soapy neem solution, and that was that. I ended up spraying a second time about a week later when I saw one or two more appear, but since then, have been aphid free.

Of course, I am assuming that the aphids came from a nursery plant and not my surroundings here or I may not have been so lucky and would be spraying on a regular basis.

wordwiz said:
A Google Search?

Mike

i thought it was readily available in pharmacies or hardware shops like Ace.
I guess it wasnt.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though.

kiddc, do you have any health shops where you are? Or anywhere where they might sell 'essential' oils or what-not? It's worth a shot... that's where I got mine. And yeah, if you have the option, go for pure neem oil.

I use Neem Oil.

I have had great success with it. It is kind of a pain getting all bundled up to protect your self from getting it on yourself. It has fungicide miticide pesticide i get scared with getting any of it on me! but after a nice meen oiling th eplants usually don't have bugs n them any more but you gotta coat the entire plant.

I recommend Home Harvest Garden Supply.

Actually Neem oil is very safe (don't drink it), virtually non-toxic to mammals...in India it is used in the manufacture of cosmetics such as toothpaste and shampoo and the seeds from which it is extracted are used as animal feed.

Oh i;m using concentrated neem oil
On the bottle it seems to really warn about getting it on yourself the warning label is pretty scary.

Sounds like a miracle product but it really isn't in my opinion
I've used neem oil for about 6 years now and find it works best in rotation with other products like insecticidal soaps, pyrethrum sprays, and chile/garlic.
I've personally never noticed any systemic effects with aphids which are really the only pest I worry about, and I've never found it works at all as a fungicide. Being an oil I think it actually can hold in extra unwanted moisture and block up plants' pores slowing transpiration, especially if applied often.
Also any oil product is likely to have some negative effects on water, animals, and fish. If its straight neem I wouldn't worry about getting it on you, it is used for skin and hair care. My neem has no safety warnings except not to injest

have been using neem oil on all my plants for well over 5 years. the best stuff i've ever used if mixed right.more bugs on this island than anyplace on earth.2 tabllespoons neen,2 tablesoons ivory dishsoap,2 tablespoons of fish fert. 2 gallons water,mix well spray both sides of leafs and stems driping. i do it everyother week to be bug free.good luck.

Back